• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Young Players - U23's, U18's

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
Tom Davies has come through and played 150 first team games and must be worth at least £10m

Dowell has gone for a few quid
Robinson we got money for

Holgate and DCL came from elsewhere but were polished through the academy

Kenny the club are supposedly asking £15m for

Gordon has just got into the first team

Holgate and DCL are little to do with the academy, DCL has pretty much always been in the 1st team squad since he got here. I feel like the others are a waste of time discussing, to be blunt. None of them belong in the Everton team.

I'm certainly not expecting a Rooney every other year but maybe a couple every 5 years or so that can make a proper contribution to the 1st team and look like actual footballers.

Here is hoping Gordon can be a good addition!

dedoododontdedo

TEF Member
Holgate and DCL are little to do with the academy, DCL has pretty much always been in the 1st team squad since he got here. I feel like the others are a waste of time discussing, to be blunt. None of them belong in the Everton team.

I'm certainly not expecting a Rooney every other year but maybe a couple every 5 years or so that can make a proper contribution to the 1st team and look like actual footballers.

Here is hoping Gordon can be a good addition!

We could probably sell Davies and Kenny for £25m

I’d say that’s a success

I’d be interested to see what our rivals academies have produced in the last 5 years so we can benchmark but I cant be arsed

eg Man Utd - Greenwood

Mike

We could probably sell Davies and Kenny for £25m

I’d say that’s a success

I’d be interested to see what our rivals academies have produced in the last 5 years so we can benchmark but I cant be arsed

eg Man Utd - Greenwood

I don't care how much we sell our players for, I want them to be doing well in the Everton team.

The likes of United are elite clubs playing at the very top level more often than not, it's much tougher to break through at those places. We have barely got 50 points a season over the last 5/6 years and have had some right shite playing for us. Christ, Oumar Niasse was playing for our under 23s, if that's not concerning I don't know what is.

dedoododontdedo

TEF Member
I don't care how much we sell our players for, I want them to be doing well in the Everton team.

The likes of United are elite clubs playing at the very top level more often than not, it's much tougher to break through at those places. We have barely got 50 points a season over the last 5/6 years and have had some right shite playing for us. Christ, Oumar Niasse was playing for our under 23s, if that's not concerning I don't know what is.

I’m confused now cos that’s what I said initially with Davies, Kenny and Gordon, etc being in the first team.

I would say you measure academy success on value added into the first team squad or through sales.

I think the academy seems to be doing ok, but without a benchmarking exercise can’t be certain. It could be done vs Leicester, Wolves etc rather than Utd if you think that’s more suitable

Maybe we can get The Esk to do it.

Anyway it’s Friday night and I’m determined to make the most of the weekend until the season starts so have a good one lads I’m off to the pub

Reactions: Mug

thebluenose

TEF Member
Not sure about Unsy being given more power. Seems more focused on winning pointless pots than actually developing young players.

Ryan ledson came out the other day and said that U23s was utterly pointless and that was a big reason for him leaving.

Happy to see Baines given a role at the club, hopefully he can earn his badges and progress

mr_pib

TEF Member
For anyone who’s watched them recently, do the U23’s play the same system/style as the first team (which they should be doing imo), or does Unsworth play purely how he sees fit?

pablo_p

TEF Member
For anyone who’s watched them recently, do the U23’s play the same system/style as the first team (which they should be doing imo), or does Unsworth play purely how he sees fit?

Not seen anything of them but I'm sure the talk was he viewed the U23s as his own thing (or at least a seperate entity entirely) from the first team as opposed to a feeder system of sorts.

I think the move Unsworth's got will be to massage his ego and we'll look to appoint a Brands/Ancelotti contact to bring it more in line with how it should work vs. how it has been working.

Mug

TEF Member
Goes to show al those who’ve kept repeating the same stuff about Unsworth these last few years are talking bollocks.

He‘s done a decent enough job these last few years and he’s being given more authority clearly.

Mike

Goes to show al those who’ve kept repeating the same stuff about Unsworth these last few years are talking bollocks.

He‘s done a decent enough job these last few years and he’s being given more authority clearly.

We're a football club that has hired Martinez, Koeman, Steve Walsh, Sam Allardyce, Sammy Lee and Marco Silva in the last 10 years. The decision making of the board is quite evidently terrible by and large.

We're also still hiring a coach that has 2 criminal convictions in the last 2 years.

Obviously you have to defend him and the decision making of the board because you've dug your heels with the young lads and overstated their ability but our academy lads in recent years aren't producing things for the 1st team. A handful of them have come out and been openly critical of the club in its handling of young players.

And you think people are talking bollocks?

Last edited:

AngusYoung

TEF Member
U23's currently 1 down against the RS, can't believe Baningime is still starting games, surely him starting games is stopping someone else coming through, his time here should be well up.

thebluenose

TEF Member
U23's currently 1 down against the RS, can't believe Baningime is still starting games, surely him starting games is stopping someone else coming through, his time here should be well up.
He has seemingly been around for yonks. Yet he is only 22.

Clearly will not progress at the club, for his own career he needs to leave

aberonn

TEF Member
Guardian have done Their 'next generation' piece for 2020, Reece Welch was the Everton selection

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)