• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Today's back 3 formation - What did you think?

bluerinse

We speculated over the break that there might be a change in formation due to the clear defensive weakness in our right hand side and Carlo has obviously plumped for the back 3 today.

It looked like a kind of 3-4-3 with James floating to the centre, Richarlison linking up with DCL from the left and DCL obviously the fulcrum.

So...

----------------------- Pickford----------------------
------Godfrey-----Mina-----Keane-------------
Iwobi-------Allan-------Doucoure----Digne
----------------James------------Richarlison---
------------------------DCL--------------------------

What did you think of it?

What did you think worked well?

What did you think worked not so well?

Would you persist with it?

jon

CDPA Panelist (like Rich)
I think it's hard to say given the ay we were in midfield, but it would look better with an up to speed Holgate in place of Mina.
(Mina looked better when Mitrovic came on I thought. as it's more his game, but he was poor overall.)

Hugo's left kidney

Not a corrupt CDPA panelist
We speculated over the break that there might be a change in formation due to the clear defensive weakness in our right hand side and Carlo has obviously plumped for the back 3 today.

It looked like a kind of 3-4-3 with James floating to the centre, Richarlison linking up with DCL from the left and DCL obviously the fulcrum.

So...

------Godfrey-----Mina-----Keane-------------
Iwobi-------Allan-------Doucoure----Digne
----------------James------------Richarlison---
------------------------DCL--------------------------

What did you think of it?

What did you think worked well?

What did you think worked not so well?

Would you persist with it?
I'd be interested to see if this worked.

------Godfrey-----Keane-----Holgate---------
Coleman----Allan-----Doucoure----Digne
------------------------James-------------------------
-----------------DCL---------Richarlison---------

bluerinse

I'd be interested to see if this worked.

------Godfrey-----Keane-----Holgate---------
Coleman----Allan-----Doucoure----Digne
------------------------James-------------------------
-----------------DCL---------Richarlison---------

I like the look of Keane in the middle and Holgate + Godfrey alongside.

dr lee

TEF Member
I think it's very difficult to switch to a back 3 for odd games, especially with unconvincing centre backs like we have, it's something that you have to commit to in my opinion.
If we are going to play it I think Keane needs to be central as he reads the game much better than Mina.

toffee_boy_andy

Love Islander
I think it must have been a tactical possibility that Carlo always wanted to have, considering our pursuit of Godfrey.

I don’t consider it overly defensive. It’s how Wolves regularly set up and they still create plenty.

I think it’s deffo a positive thing if the opponent doesn’t know how we’re going to set up. Doesn’t know where James is gonna play, etc. Makes it tougher for them to nullify us.

Suppose it was a surprise that, playing 3 CB’s, Holgate didn’t get a start. Especially since he’s been at FF for 2 weeks, and Yerry just rocked back up a couple of days ago.

Don’t know if we stick with it when Coleman’s back, but I don’t see why not. Probably switch between formations depending on the opposition. But I guess it would be a formation that Digne and Coleman/Iwobi enjoy.

Space_Ghost

TEF Member
I think we need to play Holgate and Godfrey either side of Mina if we're to play 3 at the back. Keane can't play a high line, Mina does for Colombia quite frequently.

Wasn't a huge fan of it. Hope to go back to 4 at the back as soon as Coleman is fit.

Space_Ghost

TEF Member
That said, Iwobi was great, but didn't need to be that formation to get him in the team. Move James Centrally and keep him on the right when we go back to 433

mr_pib

TEF Member
I’m really not a fan of back 3’s, I’m an unreconstructed 4 at the back man.

Have any teams in the last 10 years had consistent success without using a back 4? Juve under Conte are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Maverick

TEF Member
No-one is used to playing it and it showed. Keane poor for the 1st goal and no-one covered themselves in glory for the 2nd, Mina especially.

It's not a system I'd be looking to long term but it might work in some games with someone sitting in front.

That said, if Gbamin becomes the sitter, it's back to 4-3-3 or a Diamond with James at the tip.

Mick Blue

Pervert & possible Love Islander
I’m really not a fan of back 3’s, I’m an unreconstructed 4 at the back man.

Have any teams in the last 10 years had consistent success without using a back 4? Juve under Conte are the only ones I can think of off hand.

Did Chelsea play 352 under Conte the year they won the league?

bluerinse

I wonder if it was just given a go because Coleman was missing, or was it more of a long term plan.Time will tell.

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce. Hates Christmas
I don’t like it - it just about worked today but I prefer a 4.
Can Iwobi play right back?? He was great bombing forward and he wouldn’t be the first to be converted. Moses at Chelsea, Ashley Young and Valencia at United, Milner at the shite, even Delph at City. He works hard and we don’t have many other options there.

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
Iwobi can't tackle and pressure a man, he certainly wont be the answer for long at wingback. He would get terrorised against proper opposition.

I'm not interested in a back 3 staying, as has already been mentioned top sides that win things never really use it and I am bored to death watching the likes of Wolves.

pablo_p

TEF Member
I like their fact that he's still trying things to a degree, but honestly, the best we've looked is a back with Coleman, Mina and Keane in it.

For some games, it's not bad, but we suit a 4-3-3 much more, IMO§. A fit Coleman eases the issue on the Right.

Mick Blue

Pervert & possible Love Islander
I like their fact that he's still trying things to a degree, but honestly, the best we've looked is a back with Coleman, Mina and Keane in it.

For some games, it's not bad, but we suit a 4-3-3 much more, IMO§. A fit Coleman eases the issue on the Right.

Mina and Keane is a decent pairing when you’re up against a Mitrovic but against slick, one touch passing they get dragged all over the place. From our current options, I’d like to see Keane with one of the more mobile lads, probably Holgate.

T1878

Love Islander
I think it really boils down to the fact we still don’t know who our best centre-half is, or what the best partnership might be. Despite the fact we’ve spent £60-70m on Mina, Keane and Godfrey, there’s no clear pecking order. You’d argue Holgate is the best of the lot, but he’s not without his faults either.

We need a top quality centre-back to come in and dominate the back-line. Any of the above would be good enough to feature alongside that kind of player. I don’t think any combination of the current crop has the right balance or quality needed at the highest level.

bluerinse

I think it really boils down to the fact we still don’t know who our best centre-half is, or what the best partnership might be. Despite the fact we’ve spent £60-70m on Mina, Keane and Godfrey, there’s no clear pecking order. You’d argue Holgate is the best of the lot, but he’s not without his faults either.

We need a top quality centre-back to come in and dominate the back-line. Any of the above would be good enough to feature alongside that kind of player. I don’t think any combination of the current crop has the right balance or quality needed at the highest level.

Whether they're up to the required standard is up for debate, but I think most would say our number 1 partnership is Keane and Holgate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)