• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Football The England Football team

Do you want England to win?

• Yes, always

Votes: 24 48.0%
  • Sometimes, I like this team but it depends on the players/manager

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • No, I don't relate, lower league fans and southerners, mate

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No, I'm not from England

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

Hugo's left kidney

Secretly watch Love Island
4 at the back suits them so much more. When playing 5 at the back against the better teams it really does turn into a back 5. The back 4 allows an extra midfielder and its made a big difference. We are creating lots more chances and the squad is now better than it was during the World Cup.
Still missing the kind of deep lying playmaker who could do some serious damage on the counter, but I reckon that'll emerge sooner rather than later. At that point, I'll believe we can win one of the majors.

kev1

TEF Mortgage Broker - Love Islander
Still missing the kind of deep lying playmaker who could do some serious damage on the counter, but I reckon that'll emerge sooner rather than later. At that point, I'll believe we can win one of the majors.
Yeah I agree mate. You would hope that Ross could do that but he’s not disciplined enough. I’m sure there will be players coming through. We are looking good at all levels. Not seen that in my lifetime

MLWEFC

Ex-Love Islander who has seen the light
I know a lot of people think everyone is taking this UEFA nations league seriously but I don't think it's close to being as competitive as the world cup. I think it remains to be seen how much England have improved, myself.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
There are some promising midfield prospects but none quite fitting the bill atm often just too green and inexperienced and at this stage more of the attacking type than deep lying, Mason Mount of Chelsea on loan to Derby has looked particularly bright although in the championship and therefore a lower level.

Maddison, Winks, Foden, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Sancho even the older Delph have all been tried or touted and one or two could develop.

Regular first team action and at the highest level is needed and perhaps an adaptability of position too as a creative midfield Pirlo type won't be an easy nugget to find.

Some of these lads are young and urgently need experience to develop, possibly more going the Sancho route abroad could help.

Last edited:

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
I know a lot of people think everyone is taking this UEFA nations league seriously but I don't think it's close to being as competitive as the world cup. I think it remains to be seen how much England have improved, myself.
The World Cup has been around since the 1930s when Uruguay won a fledgling competition in South America, only 80 years of development then, it's really not comparing like with like.

The Euros started off in the 60s? With two legged semis and final right up to late last century, this is the first running of a fledgling competition.

It will grow in importance as all competitions do with time, its not comparable now but it doesn't mean that will always be the case.

It's by nature and format a European competition not a World one, there is no like for like in any respect.

Hugo's left kidney

Secretly watch Love Island
Yeah I agree mate. You would hope that Ross could do that but he’s not disciplined enough. I’m sure there will be players coming through. We are looking good at all levels. Not seen that in my lifetime
Barkley doesn't have the passing range.
I agree, a Scholes type would be ideal.
Scholes in his twilight years would have been devastating in this team.
There are some promising midfield prospects but none quite fitting the bill atm often just too green and inexperienced and at this stage more of the attacking type than deep lying, Mason Mount of Chelsea on loan to Derby has looked particularly bright although in the championship and therefore a lower level.

Maddison, Winks, Foden, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley, Sancho, Foden even the older Delph have all been tried or touted and one or two could develop.

Regular first team action and at the highest level is needed and perhaps an adaptability of position too as a creative midfield Pirlo type won't be an easy nugget to find.

Some of these lads are young and urgently need experience to develop, possibly more going tge Sancho route abroad could help.
I reckon a few post-millenials have probably grown up hero-worshipping the likes of Pirlo and Xabi Alonso. It's only a matter of time.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
And so it's Koeman's Holland with Portugal or Switzerland awaiting the winners....

The Nations League finals are the only England games worth watching next year, hopefully we can win our first trophy at senior level since 1966.

Whatever the criticisms initially showered on this tournament, it has proved far more successful than could reasonably be hoped for and may easily grow in importance the more it gets established. Perhaps it will be when the knock on consequences for other tournaments are better understood, these may still in future affect world cup qualifying seeds too.

After our Euros qualifying draw which means qualifying is likely to be one long drawn out borefest of attack vs the parked bus of succesive minnows ill equipped to compete with us...

czech republic (average at best)
bulgaria (poor)
montenegro (v poor)
kosovo (barely good enough to deserve even a very poor rating)

...the Nations League might be even more appreciated as it is at least competitive

bluerinse

Love Island Mod

Can't believe Wan-Bissaka isn't in there.

Coady is probably more deserving than Keane, too.

Same could be said of Ward-Prowse, over somebody like Loftus-Cheek who plays about 50 minutes a month for Chelsea.

MLWEFC

Ex-Love Islander who has seen the light
Players withdrawing from the squad all over the show.

Disgraceful, really.

#itscominghome

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Players withdrawing from the squad all over the show.

Disgraceful, really.

#itscominghome
Who's pulled out?

I think this is the international slot when you get it most, with pressure coming from club managers ahead of the business end of the season.

IRISHBLUE101

Global Moderator
Im not surprised City players are dropping out with the number of games they have in April. Plus they have another league game to fit in v Cardiff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)