• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Player Seamus Coleman

Gym or bin?

• Gym

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Bin

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters

graeme

whatever it was
To be fair, there's no point getting someone in for the sake of it. If they are shit it's right for them to be veto'd

Reactions: jon

Axwell

TEF Member
He’s not 100% fit and had no choice but to start him today with Mina not 100% recovered from international duty. The board want lynching for not bringing in a right back this summer

505blue

TEF Member
He’s not 100% fit and had no choice but to start him today with Mina not 100% recovered from international duty. The board want lynching for not bringing in a right back this summer
They want lynching for not bringing in one 3 transfer windows ago. I'm convinced they've got an ongoing bet about how long we can stay in the premiership without signing a new one.

Mike

Meit
I can't get my head around a lot of blues not holding the board accountable for this mess. The excuses such as "had one but manager didn't want him." or "shouldn't sign someone for the sake of it." ... it's bollocks. It's akin to these dickheads last year saying leave Boris alone he's doing the best he can.

We should've had dossiers on numerous right backs throughout the world of football and I don't mean just a fella from the Dutch league and a kid from Rangers.

We're talking about a 2/3 year issue here that they haven't addressed. It's not that the right man isn't out there, they simply haven't done their homework and got a man in.

They're not fit for our great football club. We will not be getting back into Europe until Benitez is given carte blanche or Moshiri sacks the pretenders on the board and gets in some top operators.

Last edited:

jon

Hall monitor
Nobody is justifying it Mike, I think you're reading too much in to it. But when people say "Brands should have sorted it", it also has to be accepted that there are reasons why it hasn't happened.
"Yeah, cos the ones he picked were shit" isn't the argument. There's obviously been different managers, but he also gets called for not identifying youngsters and almost in the same breath gets brickbats for trying to sign "some second rate dickhead kid" from Rangers.
I'm completely neutral on him, leaning toward negative, but the bias is nuts.

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce - U23s expert
This is the biggest crime of the board. 3 years we’ve needed a right back and we have to play Coleman who I will never criticise as he gives his all but he’s finished and has been for 2 years. He’s never been a good crosser but it’s so sad we are still playing him. Have we not got a RB in the youth team???

Mike

Meit
Nobody is justifying it Mike, I think you're reading too much in to it.

I'm reading exactly what people say, The Jom.

You and Harry going on about agendas earlier on. That was bollocks.

Start going after the people that are really the issue with this club instead of bickering at other posters.

jon

Hall monitor
I'm reading exactly what people say, The Jom.

You and Harry going on about agendas earlier on. That was bollocks.

Start going after the people that are really the issue with this club instead of bickering at other posters.
No, it wasn't but I do agree with you about the board in a broader sense. We've been a mess at director level for as long as I can remember.
What I can't be arsed with is petty point scoring over the role of a person that none of us know the remit of.
If we're two sides of the same coin then I've misunderstood

Mike

Meit
No, it wasn't but I do agree with you about the board in a broader sense. We've been a mess at director level for as long as I can remember.
What I can't be arsed with is petty point scoring over the role of a person that none of us know the remit of.
If we're two sides of the same coin then I've misunderstood
His remit, with the rest of the board and scouts at the club, is to find a list of right backs and agree on signing one with the manager.

Personally I think they've really avoided the issue because Seamus Coleman is captain and he's one of the boys. The people at this club are more arsed about being a family than winning.

jon

Hall monitor
His remit, with the rest of the board and scouts at the club, is to find a list of right backs and agree on signing one with the manager.

Personally I think they've really avoided the issue because Seamus Coleman is captain and he's one of the boys. The people at this club are more arsed about being a family than winning.
I absolutely agree with the first line as far as this discussion goes. That we havn't achieved that has several variables.

You might well be right on the second point and I'd tend to agree. It seems it's something you and Brands might agree on, given the recent article.

Mike

Meit
I absolutely agree with the first line as far as this discussion goes. That we havn't achieved that has several variables.

You might well be right on the second point and I'd tend to agree. It seems it's something you and Brands might agree on, given the recent article.
Media articles are to be taken with a pinch of salt, of course. The reality is Brands has just signed a new contract, if he wasn't happy with how the club is behind the scenes or able to do his job how he sees fit then there's plenty of other clubs he can go and get a job at?

As a fanbase we need to stop making daft excuses for all of this board and some players. People don't have agendas against Marcel Brands or a pathological hatred of Iwobi, they've just been fucking shit for this club for years.

jon

Hall monitor
Media articles are to be taken with a pinch of salt, of course. The reality is Brands has just signed a new contract, if he wasn't happy with how the club is behind the scenes or able to do his job how he sees fit then there's plenty of other clubs he can go and get a job at?

As a fanbase we need to stop making daft excuses for all of this board and some players. People don't have agendas against Marcel Brands or a pathological hatred of Iwobi, they've just been fucking shit for this club for years.
Of course they are, but they are about as close as we get. It would be churlish to think that some of the better ones don't have sources and insight.
Perhaps Brands thinks that his job is only half done? I don't know and that's the point. I agree with you on the point that the homogeneous board has a lot to answer for and he is part of that, but this obsession with him and who he did or didn't sign (not necessarily from you) is a bit odd.

Mike

Meit
Of course they are, but they are about as close as we get. It would be churlish to think that some of the better ones don't have sources and insight.
Perhaps Brands thinks that his job is only half done? I don't know and that's the point. I agree with you on the point that the homogeneous board has a lot to answer for and he is part of that, but this obsession with him and who he did or didn't sign (not necessarily from you) is a bit odd.
I'd happily see them all sacked.

But as the DOF, he's definitely in charge of the scouting network and finding players. If Dumfries and the kid from Rangers are the best we can come up with, then everyone isn't doing their job properly.

The van de Beek story sums this fella up IMO. It's just a complete nonsense signing for us, and yes, it was Brands who wanted him here.

I highly suspect Brands is filling his pockets and doing favours for his agent mates by signing their players but I have no way of confirming that, obviously. That's just a guess.

jon

Hall monitor
I'd happily see them all sacked.

But as the DOF, he's definitely in charge of the scouting network and finding players. If Dumfries and the kid from Rangers are the best we can come up with, then everyone isn't doing their job properly.

The van de Beek story sums this fella up IMO. It's just a complete nonsense signing for us, and yes, it was Brands who wanted him here.

I highly suspect Brands is filling his pockets and doing favours for his agent mates by signing their players but I have no way of confirming that, obviously. That's just a guess.
The VdB stuff does him no favours. I can't see how he would fit here, but I could still be scarred by Klaassen.
Brands' time here is mired im istery really and I think that atest article said a lot. 3 calls to make arrange a transfer to Everton ect, imagine how unattractive that must seem to player used to being doted on. We seem to lack a defined hierarchy and roles; it needs to be addressed.

Woolster

Data nonce

We plainly need a new right back ( though Coleman was actually OK today ), but the "one of the boys" thing is likely wide of the mark. Baines was one of the boys, but a replacement was found for him without hesitation, to the point where Baines barely got a kick.

I agree with pretty much everything you say on the right back situation mind.

Mike

Meit
We plainly need a new right back ( though Coleman was actually OK today ), but the "one of the boys" thing is likely wide of the mark. Baines was one of the boys, but a replacement was found for him without hesitation, to the point where Baines barely got a kick.

I agree with pretty much everything you say on the right back situation mind.
Baines was about the same age Coleman is now, I think. It's just a shit situation really. Immensely frustrating when you're only a fan.

Woolster

Data nonce
Baines was about the same age Coleman is now, I think. It's just a shit situation really. Immensely frustrating when you're only a fan.

Coleman should be backup, he'll have some good games for us, but he'll have more average ones. His legs havn't totally "gone", but he's past the point where it's realistic for him to play 90 minutes more than once a week, whether it's for us or the Irish

The board, recruiters, managers, whatever, must see that. Given our current financial situation, you can kind of see why he wasn't replaced this Summer, but that's no excuse for not having dealt with the situation in the last couple of years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)