• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Management Roberto Martinez - Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang Fuckface

TEF Member
Not a reaction to yesterday, I thought we played alright, but Martinez really isn't getting the best out of this squad. He doesn't have a fucking clue what his best team is. The amount of stupid goals we concede is ridiculous.

Not saying I defo want rid of him but I reckon we could get another manager who could get more out of this team. To be fair we have had a lot of injuries this season and Europa last season which affected the league form, but I think we are easy to play against. Dunno whether it is just me but I think we are pretty boring to watch as well.

Wolfgang Fuckface

TEF Member
I blame him for Howard as well. He's fucking shite, but Martinez has managed him for 2 years now and not replaced him. He said in the press a while back he wanted a keeper but then did a U turn. Maybe we didn't have the money, but it should have been a priority.

Potrik

TEF Member
I don't like Martinez but you can't blame him for individual errors.

Regarding Howard, he has been utter wank but I'm not sure Joel would be any better. That game against Barnsley was terrifying.

bluerinse

Howard is a huge problem, we all saw it 1 year ago and he should have been replaced by now. Now the fruits of the decision not to sell him are coming to bear and it's costing us at least a goal a game. It's a clear act of negligence from the manager that.

The manager was a central defensive midfield player, therefore it's no wonder he likes to play 2 primarily defensive midfield players. That's always your instinct, much like Moyes liked himself a centre half. However, the necessity for 2 every week is very questionable and arguably costs us in creativity from the middle.

The other thing I don't like with Martinez is him not playing two wingers every week. Previously we didn't have the personel but now we have 4 wingers, 3 of whom are good enough to start for us. When you only play 1 striker, 2 central DMs and a CM at number 10 (plus missing your creative full back) you are lacking creativity which we need from 2 wingers. It slows us down and makes us stagnant and easy to play against - we need to always have that injection.

So those are the three issues for me and aside from the goalkeeper (not convinced Joel is good enough) the problems can and hopefully will be addressed swiftly.

Consayblue22

TEF Member
Much improved this season but he still making errors for me. Howard should have been replaced by now, and at this moment I would honestly rather see Robles given the chance as at least he can improve. Which he did with a run in the team last season.

Also the Barry-McCarthy partnership and his refusal to break it up is hurting us. Against Arsenal both did the defensive side very well, but when it came to passing it forward they both the ball 99% of the time, just hitting it into empty space half the time as well. It stifles us going forward and what's most frustrating is centr midfield is where we have the most options and he is just not utilising them. Cleverley, Besic and Gibson all should be used more centrally.

Barry has played this season but there is a reason opposition teams target him and his lack of pace hinders him in some defensive situations as well. In some games he will still be very useful, but the times of him starting every game need to be phased out.

pablo_p

TEF Member
The last two games aren't his fault, IMO. And there's been nothing to complain about before them.

Howard, and any one of the back line, have shipped out 5 goals through very basic mistakes.

I appreciate that the hangover from the United match wasn't really gone; but yesterday I think we made the team at the top of the league look very ordinary for over an hour. We've had our arses handed to us once (United) and even that was down to individual errors.

We've had a load of injuries and, arguably, the hardest run in the league. Personally, there's no-one out there we could get that A) Would look at us. Or; B) We could afford.

At least no-one who could do a better job than Martinez is, anyway.

I apreciate it's been a shit fortnight, but we've got a good run coming up now, against teams we should be looking to destroy.

The criticism of 2 DMs will be put to the test as well now. So we'll see how we fare with just McCarthy as the defensive player there. Personally, I hope it's Cleverley who comes in. As he has a good engine on him, and is very forward thinking.

The only real criticism I have of him is not playing 2 wingers.

Comicbook Guy

Banned
Banned
It's unbelievable that so many can give this balloon Martinez a pass. We win a game and he's hailed a genius, we lose and its down to individual error.

Adversus

Forum Gobshite
Banned
I thought we played well against the best team in the league away from home. He does need to drop Howard. We look vulnerable every time a ball comes into the box. I would love to know how many times we've conceded goals from that.

I think we may even see Mirallas and Deulofeu in the next run of fixtures. Deulofeu's defending and maturity has greatly improved and I don't think it's as much a risk as it used to be.

Xbob

Honorary Life Captain
I agree with the OP that we are boring to watch on the whole. I think this, our lack of creativity and the fact that our flanks seem to be very ineffective stem from our lack of effective teamwork and movement and this has to be down to the manager rather than the players. Martinez isn't the worst manager we could have but neither is he the best. He will not be getting the sack any time soon though, even if we go on a horrendous run like we did last season which I think is always as likely as a good run with him, so we may as well get used to the style of play and savour the bits where we are good because there's no doubting that we are sometimes. I thought we were very good in the second half yesterday, but also quite fortunate.

I think we will be able to get a decent reflection on the state of the team in the next 5 games. I personally think we look to be on the right track BUT it hasn't clicked just yet this season. I think it will though.

I do want us to be a bit more adventurous though. We have a brilliant squad, lets put a team to the sword starting next week!

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce
We are very predictable and most teams have worked us out by pressing us high up. We are also far too slow in the build up and that's due to the insistence on playing Barry and McCarthy.
Martinez takes the blame for all of that but the positive is once we finally get the ball to one of our wingers or Ross then we look dangerous and can cause any team trouble.
We are playing much better than last season - which isn't hard and we have 4 huge games coming up that are all winnable. If we win them then we are in the quarters of the cup and will be top 6.

scott_efc

Doom-monger and Wayne Lineker fan
Cant really be bothered to get involved in the full discussion but the idea that 'individual errors costing us' isnt to do with Martinez is laughable. I could maybe agree if it was just over the space of a month or so but its been like this his entire career let alone with us. Its not just a coincidence that the tendency for his players to cock up / concede cheap goals has followed him round his whole career.

scott_efc

Doom-monger and Wayne Lineker fan
At times i think pretty much any human alive could do a better job than Martinez yet as much as i dislike the guy as a manager there arent any stand out options right now. Id take Moyes back in a heartbeat obviously but apart from that i wouldnt have a clue who else... What i would like more than anything is a change in backroom staff as clearly whatever they work on every day in training isnt making its way out onto the pitch...or if it is then whatever it is they work on is utter nonsense.

Dont like Laudrup at all either btw.

TylerDurden

At own request
Banned
Fuck you off

Laudrup ffs

Won stuff virtually everywhere he's been, generally makes good signings and plays an attractive brand of actually effective, attacking football

Or we can stick with watching our back 6 pass it amongst themselves whilst our attackers kill themselves through loneliness

pasta_bastard

TEF Member
the only difference between us and arsenal yesterday was 2 really bad defensive errors for their goals. we gave as good as we got and were the better team in the second half and really, deserved at least a draw if it weren't for cechs heroics in goal.

the thing that is pissing me off the most is we have lukaku playing the lone striker role and he is always drifting wide far too often in games just like yesterday. why the fuck doesn't he just stay central and get in the box? fucking baffles me! we had 2 wingers playing yet when we were attacking, he's out wide and making things far too hard for himself. he would score a shit load of goals if he just stays central.

i think joel needs a run in the team and howard should be benched. i know joel has been rocky since joining but he showed last season when given a run of games, he can be a decent keeper, and it showed when people on here were kicking off when he got dropped straight away when howard came back. at the moment he can't do much more wrong than the way howard is playing.

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
Won stuff virtually everywhere he's been, generally makes good signings and plays an attractive brand of actually effective, attacking football

Or we can stick with watching our back 6 pass it amongst themselves whilst our attackers kill themselves through loneliness

Won stuff virtually everywhere he's been?

No.

TylerDurden

At own request
Banned
Won stuff virtually everywhere he's been?

No

Won loads at Brondby, turned Getafe round and lost a cup final, won Swansea the cup and won his last club things they'd never won before, aside from a couple of short term failures his record is fantastic, not to mention him being one of the greatest players to ever kick a ball.

And you think you can laugh him off in comparison to someone who's sole achievement is spawning a cup while getting relegated? Pull the other one lad

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
Won stuff virtually everywhere.

But didn't really.

Anyway, back on topic, Martinez deserves until the end of the season at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)