• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Racism in Sport

MLWEFC

Brexit slag
Seems mental over here but it's the norm in many European countries, sadly.

There's also loads of casual racism in Germany too, tbh. Granted, you don't hear noises on football stands.

pablo

TEF Member
Shame most football fans can't see beyond their own Partizan feelings when it comes to discrimination. Look at the neighbours with Holgate.

MLWEFC

Brexit slag
Mentioned it in the football thread.

Clive Tyldesley on ITV commentary was a disgrace for saying it's ill advised for Sterling to give the crowd some back.

Fozastuta

TEF Member
Monkey chants at a lad slightly more shinier than the Bolivians. That's a new level of skin tone racism.

bluerinse

I think it's great that these players and the manager are being forward in speaking out.

It seems to happen every time in Eastern Europe and has been for years.

bignevruled

TEF Member
While it's true that there is a fair bit of casual racism in Germany I've only really come across it among people more inclined to also be right wing/proper wrong 'uns. Most people below 50 are pretty enlightened. The same can't be said the further east you go. Some of the shit I've heard boggles the mind. Really nice god fearing people who genuinely believe that white people were created by god and black people were the only ones that evolved from monkees so are 'sub human'. One mate of mine from the Balkans was telling me a story about how his mam was watching telly when he was a kid and a black person came on. His mother was genuinely shocked and distressed and when he asked her what was wrong she goes 'oh that poor man being black and everything'.

These attitudes are going to take decades to change. A 100k fine for the Montenegro FA will do absolutely fuck all. You think the white supremacists in the US are bad you want to see some of these pipe hitting Serbians. Fuckin hard as nails these lads and that's before you even get to their Russian 'brothers'.

MLWEFC

Brexit slag
Went to Berlin / Dresden in Koemans 1st pre-season. Taxi driver from the airport said to us immediately "You Everton fans? ... Lukaku he is good but he's a lazy nigger." as casual as you like.

bignevruled

TEF Member
Went to Berlin / Dresden in Koemans 1st pre-season. Taxi driver from the airport said to us immediately "You Everton fans? ... Lukaku he is good but he's a lazy nigger." as casual as you like.
By all accounts the East is much worse than where I am in the south but I have heard that phrase - more often than not relating to footballers and wonder if it's just something that slips off the tongue for them. The word is incredibly offensive in English but the German translation neger is not loaded with the same history and in fact doesn't really mean the same thing anyway. We're getting into kopite levels of liguistic gymnastics here but it's all just basically incredibly offensive racial slurs and everybody knows it regardless of the direct translation - and most just use the English word anyway which actually makes them doubly ignorant.

A bit anecdotal but consider that until the turn of the 21st century one of the most popular childrens treats, similar to a tunnocks teacake, was actually branded at one point and continued to be known for years afterwards as a negerkuss (literally niggerkiss or more accurately negrokiss). I remember when I first got here about 15 years ago some people still called them this. I smashed off with people and some were genuinely perplexed as to why.

The British may lament how racism exists in society and we still have a long way to go but imo Brits generally are the most enlightened people I've ever come across when it comes to race. It's one of the few things that makes me proud to be British as all other nationalities seem to automatically assume this - despite Brexit and all its implications.

I got a warm glow watching Southgate's interview last night. Measured but steely too. You can guarantee he'll be all over this behind the scenes. I felt proud to have him as England manager last night. Some of these young lads coming through are just not having it either. They're not afraid to speak up about it now and Raheem Sterling has and continues to be a big part of that. Absolutely fantastic to see.

kev1

TEF Mortgage Broker - Love Islander
I see the footballers are taking a day off social media in protest of what his happening.
That will sort the problem out!

MLWEFC

Brexit slag
I see the footballers are taking a day off social media in protest of what his happening.
That will sort the problem out!
Wow, really going to do something that.
Completely missed the point here chaps.

It's not about fixing the problem, the players can't do that. It's about raising awareness that the problem needs fixing. These players don't use social media and the platform will lose lots of revenue, which will definitely kick start them into action.

RoyalBlueBoy

Probably a Love Islander
Completely missed the point here chaps.

It's not about fixing the problem, it's about raising awareness that the problem needs fixing.
Everyone already knows there is a problem though. If they feel that strongly, refuse to play or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)