• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Playing out from the back

We're not good enough to do it and it needs sacking off.

I don't get the point in Pickford passing it 5 yards to Mina, for us to then play 2/3 more passes before launching long or hitting it out of play.

We clearly aren't good enough to try it and we need to sack it off. Pickford can take goal kicks, launch it to the 6ft 4 striker who rarely loses a header and play from there and play short if other options are on.

Without a first choice midfield, we will never pull this off unless it's against teams that are worse than us that don't press as well as the likes of Manchester City and the shite.

TylerDurden

At own request
Banned
We're not good enough to play long ball football either though. What other option is there? Is it legal to tie the ball to a drone and transport it from player to player that way? We need a fucking loophole like

Iggy

Love Islander
For me, Holgate and Mina are good enough to play out from the back. The midfield however, are non-existant, and so it's hard for them. It'll be good to see Bernard start against Brighton and playing in between the lines because that will help I reckon. Holgate picked him out a few times against Burnley and it was working. Not only that, it should give the other midfielders, however shit they are, a bit more space.

RoyalBlueBoy

Probably a Love Islander
Its why we beat Chelsea so comfortably. Played to our strengths of getting the ball forward quickly. I dont get the game plan at the moment. Ancelotti is telling them stop going back but as you say they're just not good enough.

pablo_p

TEF Member
I think we'll see an improvement in the coming weeks when he's had some quality time with them.

He's Italian, he's defensive by nature (as is the Italian game) he's going to want us to play it out from the back where we can, IMO.

Holgate and Mina are the best at it (Holgate has decent ranged passing, too), so it's something we'll work on.

Had Schneiderlin dropping deep last night which is what I think we'll see from whichever DM we go with.

Can't go long with it either as I think we've only DCL to hold it up and no 'real' partnership has emerged with anyone upfront. He and Richarlison have looked better, but we need him LM, IMO. Got to start Kean and DCL for the remainder of the season at 1 game per week.

The main thing for me is we don't seem to want to lash it into row z when we're under pressure. Playing it out isn't so bad so long as there's no suicide balls to the keeper. But if you're under pressure, you need to be able to leather it up or out. We seem to lack that instinct - have done since Moyes, TBF.

Ste

TEF Member
We cant play out from the back with no ross in attack and the school of science not being anywhere near coming back.

pablo

TEF Member
We're not good enough to do it and it needs sacking off.

I don't get the point in Pickford passing it 5 yards to Mina, for us to then play 2/3 more passes before launching long or hitting it out of play.

We clearly aren't good enough to try it and we need to sack it off. Pickford can take goal kicks, launch it to the 6ft 4 striker who rarely loses a header and play from there and play short if other options are on.

Without a first choice midfield, we will never pull this off unless it's against teams that are worse than us that don't press as well as the likes of Manchester City and the shite.
It starts with the midfield showing for the ball. We have two players who do this, one is crippled and the other is a victim of his own dress sense. So we either buy a big lump to hold the ball up or get some midfielders in.

AngusYoung

TEF Member
The ball generally gets lumped up the pitch as the midfield don't show or move for the ball, when they do, it goes straight back to the defender who has played it to them.

We need quality all over the team but the central midfield position is badly missing it.

graeme

TEF Member
If the two central midfielders didn't mark themselves out of the game mina and holgate would stand more of a chance.

If the two central midfielders didn't mark themselves out of the game mina and holgate would stand more of a chance.
I am not disagreeing. 100% it's down to the midfield.

That said, there is fuck all need for Pickford to pass a goalkick 5 yards. He is perfectly capable of passing a football 99% of the time.

Maverick

TEF Member
A midfield that includes Bernard, Delph and Iwobi means we can do it. Players who keep getting on the ball and trying.

If everyone else hides it's impossible

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce
A midfield that includes Bernard, Delph and Iwobi means we can do it. Players who keep getting on the ball and trying.

If everyone else hides it's impossible
Youre onto something there..

Pickford
Sidibe Holgate Mina Baines
... Bernard Delph Iwobi
...Kean DCL Richarlison

Will never happen but that side can at least pass a football

DwightSchrute

TEF Member
Problem is Napoli were one of the best in the world at it so he's just importing it over to us but we havent got the players to do it. Mina/Holgate/Pickford and especially Keane are dreadful at it, one little press and they are terrified and either kick it straight out of play, lose possession or pass it to the next player under pressure to lose it.

Pep shifted Joe Hart because he couldnt play out from the back either and got Ederson in. Digne/Coleman dont worry me around our box but the CB's and keeper are awful under press so he either needs to drop it or get his own players in to do it

DwightSchrute

TEF Member
Also as everyone says, City/Napoli/Barca/Liverpool have Rodri/Ruiz/De Jong/Fabinho who are not only fearless to a press and cool under pressure when going deep to get the ball from the CB's, they also turn around and go forward and pick great passes. We have Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)