• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Match Thread Newcastle Utd vs Everton - Sunday 1st November 1400

DannyEFC

Alan Myers
If we play as badly as we did against Southampton we lose this comfortably.

Could be a decent game this, I feel like a defeat would really take the wind out of our sails after such a good start.

No Richarlison or Digne is an absolute nightmare, too.

I’d take Godfrey out and go 451.

Pickford
Kenny Mina Keane Nkounkou
Gordon Allan Doucoure Delph Iwobi
DCL

505blue

TEF Member
No right back is really hurting right now. Maybe we try out a back 3?

I still think Gordon is the best Richarlison replacement. Bernard would be ok. Iwobi for Richarlison makes for night terrors.

bluerinse

It's a big game, this. It feels very important we find three points or we'll quickly find ourselves dropping down the league with how tight it is (and 1 point out of 9 with United next suddenly looks a big blip).

The right back situation isn't ideal but surely Kenny is back, unless he suffered a set back we don't know about. If he is, like or loathe him at least he's somebody who knows the position.

Nkounkou will play on the other side, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. I wouldn't be surprised if Delph slots in on the left of the midfield three to give him a hand.

We do need to tighten up the defence as a rule, so it's not ideal we're already going to have half a new back 4.

I don't know what the craic is with James after he looked a bit fucked by the end of Southampton. If he can pass a fitness test, or has trained this week, he'll probably play but I am concerned about us pushing a player with such an injury record as his.

It all feels a bit walking wounded at the moment, several players out or not right (amazing how quickly that can happen when you're Everton. That fucking West Ham game was the turning point) so it won't be easy.

I don't think it'll be an enjoyable match to watch.

Newcastle will probably play their back 3/5 system and let us have the ball, but they do have a few attacking players that can hurt us. Wilson has had a few good days against us for Bournemouth and ASM against either of our available full backs is a worry.

It's one of them games where I'd be delighted if we could just churn out a win any old how.

I think it'll be...

Pickford
Kenny Keane Mina Nkounkou
Doucoure Allan Delph
James DCL Iwobi

I'd like to see Gordon start but I don't know if he'll go for two rookies on the same flank.

Oh and no more absentees picked up would be nice.

toffee_boy_andy

Love Islander
It's a big game, this. It feels very important we find three points or we'll quickly find ourselves dropping down the league with how tight it is (and 1 point out of 9 with United next suddenly looks a big blip).

The right back situation isn't ideal but surely Kenny is back, unless he suffered a set back we don't know about. If he is, like or loathe him at least he's somebody who knows the position.

Nkounkou will play on the other side, so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. I wouldn't be surprised if Delph slots in on the left of the midfield three to give him a hand.

We do need to tighten up the defence as a rule, so it's not ideal we're already going to have half a new back 4.

I don't know what the craic is with James after he looked a bit fucked by the end of Southampton. If he can pass a fitness test, or has trained this week, he'll probably play but I am concerned about us pushing a player with such an injury record as his.

It all feels a bit walking wounded at the moment, several players out or not right (amazing how quickly that can happen when you're Everton. That fucking West Ham game was the turning point) so it won't be easy.

I don't think it'll be an enjoyable match to watch.

Newcastle will probably play their back 3/5 system and let us have the ball, but they do have a few attacking players that can hurt us. Wilson has had a few good days against us for Bournemouth and ASM against either of our available full backs is a worry.

It's one of them games where I'd be delighted if we could just churn out a win any old how.

I think it'll be...

Pickford
Kenny Keane Mina Nkounkou
Doucoure Allan Delph
James DCL Iwobi

I'd like to see Gordon start but I don't know if he'll go for two rookies on the same flank.

Oh and no more absentees picked up would be nice.
View: https://twitter.com/charles_stevo/status/1321149703879299075?s=21

Charles?

pablo_p

TEF Member
Another possible banana skin this.

Thought we had enough to do Southampton but they rolled us and we didn't look good at all.

I'd go:

Pickford
Kenny - Mina - Keane - Nkoukou
Doucoure - Allan - Gomes
James - - - DCL - - - Gordon​

If Kenny's not fit then it'll have to be Godfrey.

But I'd bring Iwobi and Bernard on for the wingers if it's out of sight. Iwobi only because we have no other options.

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce
Right back was a priority ahead of a central defender. Godfrey looks a great find but we should have signed Aarons.
Kenny is garbage (amazing how players get better when they don’t play) and as much as Godfrey wasn’t great at Southampton he kept Mane quiet and to be fair they were all shite on Sunday.
I would keep Godfrey there and add some protection to him down the right side which he didn’t have as James doesn’t do defending

................ Pickford
Godfrey Keane Mina Nkounkou
.....Delph Allan Doucoure
......Gordon DCL James

T1878

Love Islander
I've just looked quite closely at Newcastle's squad and the sides they've been fielding this season. Very little to be worried about and they are considerably worse than Southampton. Even without Richarlison, this is absolutely the type of game we have to be taking 3 points from. I'm nowhere near as worried about this one as I was before Southampton. We have a dodgy reckon on the South coast and someone like Ings can hurt any side. That said, the fact we were so flat on Sunday despite being top of the league is a concern. You'd like to think we'll come out this weekend all guns blazing.

I'd play a similar eleven to the one Kev has picked, but with Gomes instead of Delph. There's absolutely no way Iwobi deserves another chance to start this game over Gordon or Bernard.

Mug

TEF Member
There’ll be nothing drastically different on Sunday, Ancelotti is massively experienced and won’t rip up the game plan at the first loss of the season. Regardless of who’s fit and available we’ll be sticking to the blueprint and it’s up to the players being brought in to adapt to their new roles. You don’t become as successful as our manager by panicking.

Expect for the fullback positions I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team.

toffee_boy_andy

Love Islander
Don’t know how likely it is that Kenny will be in contention. Carlo didn’t sound keen on bringing him back in his last pre-match press conference saying he needed time to get his fitness up. I feel like he’d have been willing to take risks on a player he rated more highly.

It’s a tough fixture, and if defensive solidity is the key he might consider someone like Delph for RB.

2 changes I think we should deffo see...
Gomes in for Sigurdsson
Gordon in for Iwobi

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Having some protection for an out of position Godfrey is crucial otherwise we'll juat be exposed down that flank again. Almiron and Saint-Maximin are their main weapons and both will target our weakest point

I don't see Delph, who played left back at times for City, replacing Godfrey as an out of position right back but like the idea of him replacing Siggy to play down the right further up, dropping back when necessary to help out Godfrey.

I know Doucoure plays down the right and maybe he can offer that protection himself, but Delph's experience playing left back could be of greater help to Godfrey when doubling up defensively down the opposite flank. (I suspect Carlo will leave it as is with just Gomes or Siggy accompanying Allan and Doucoure)

Gordon should replace Iwobi on the wide left while Nkounkou has shown plenty of promise in the league cup and fully deserves his chance at left back.

Pickford

Delph Allan Doucoure

James DCL Gordon

Last edited:

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
I wouldn't play a 3 of Delph, Allan and Doucoure against Newcastle myself. It's too negative against a side that aren't very good and plays into their hands. I don't think Delph and Allan in the same side worked against West Ham in the cup either, it was reminiscent of Gueye and Schneiderlin, two midfielders trying to place in the same space.

I'd like to see

Olsen
Allan
James Docuoure Gomes Gordon
DCL​

Rich

CDPA Panelist (like jon)
If Kenny is fit, he should come in for Godfrey without a doubt. I’m still having nightmares about the poor lad getting absolutely terrorised by Nathan fucking Redmond.

Regardless of which one plays, they should be on strict orders to defend first and foremost and let Rodriguez concentrate on the offensive side of things. The only issue with that is with Richarlison out and no quality replacement, teams will just double up on him and with Digne suspended as well, that cross-field ball maybe one less tactic to call upon.

We really need one of Bernard, Iwobi or Gordon to step up. I’d start Gordon, personally.

Oh, and bring Gomes back ffs.

kev1

If Kenny is fit, he should come in for Godfrey without a doubt. I’m still having nightmares about the poor lad getting absolutely terrorised by Nathan fucking Redmond.

Regardless of which one plays, they should be on strict orders to defend first and foremost and let Rodriguez concentrate on the offensive side of things. The only issue with that is with Richarlison out and no quality replacement, teams will just double up on him and with Digne suspended as well, that cross-field ball maybe one less tactic to call upon.

We really need one of Bernard, Iwobi or Gordon to step up. I’d start Gordon, personally.

Oh, and bring Gomes back ffs.

Why does this surprise me.. Kenny is not good enough. Godfrey deserves a chance. Yes he was shit as they all were but he kept Mane quiet the week before.
Godfrey had no protection and that’s one of the reasons he was torn apart. Give him protection and it will make a difference.
Kenny isn’t up to it which is why Godfrey got to play on Sunday - even though he was fit to play.

kev1

Having some protection for an out of position Godfrey is crucial otherwise we'll juat be exposed down that flank again. Almiron and Saint-Maximin are their main weapons and both will target our weakest point

I don't see Delph, who played left back at times for City, replacing Godfrey as an out of position right back but like the idea of him replacing Siggy to play down the right further up, dropping back when necessary to help out Godfrey.

I know Doucoure plays down the right and maybe he can offer that protection himself, but Delph's experience playing left back could be of greater help to Godfrey when doubling up defensively down the opposite flank. (I suspect Carlo will leave it as is with just Gomes or Siggy accompanying Allan and Doucoure)

Gordon should replace Iwobi on the wide left while Nkounkou has shown plenty of promise in the league cup and fully deserves his chance at left back.

Pickford

Delph Allan Doucoure

James DCL Gordon

That’s the side I would pick as well. Glad to see you are thinking like me.

pablo_p

TEF Member
Why does this surprise me.. Kenny is not good enough. Godfrey deserves a chance. Yes he was shit as they all were but he kept Mane quiet the week before.
Godfrey had no protection and that’s one of the reasons he was torn apart. Give him protection and it will make a difference.
Kenny isn’t up to it which is why Godfrey got to play on Sunday - even though he was fit to play.

I think the problem for Godfrey was massively positional. Great tracking back and some good recoveries. But he was always out of position and had no protection from James.

I don't think anyone is slating Godfrey as such. I think it's obvious there's a player there; but a natural RB would offer much more in this setup than a CB who's played there a few times would.

bluerinse

Right back was a priority ahead of a central defender. Godfrey looks a great find but we should have signed Aarons.
Kenny is garbage (amazing how players get better when they don’t play) and as much as Godfrey wasn’t great at Southampton he kept Mane quiet and to be fair they were all shite on Sunday.
I would keep Godfrey there and add some protection to him down the right side which he didn’t have as James doesn’t do defending

................ Pickford
.....Delph Allan Doucoure
......Gordon DCL James

I haven't seen anybody be overly positive about Kenny, so I'm unsure where the highlighted comment comes from. The fact is he's a right back and we are missing a right back. If he's available he's the best option.

He's definitely on your hitlist tho, you can't help but call him shite upon every mention of his name!

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
I'm not sure Kenny is the best option to play but if he was fit on Sunday he would've been in the squad, allowing Godfrey to go into centre back if there was a problem there. So he obviously wasn't fit despite Kevs assertion.

I'm pretty sure Kenny wouldn't be at the club if we had a buyer in the Summer and unfortunately I don't think he's going to be the answer longterm, so I'd carry on giving Godfrey minutes until Coleman is back. Southampton wasn't a game to single out people, even I didn't do that with Iwobi.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)