• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Management Marco Silva

When will Marco Silva be sacked?

• Time to go now

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • If we lose to Watford

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • If we lose to Spurs

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Not that soon but sometime before Christmas

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • After Christmas but won't last the season

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • He won't be sacked, he'll turn it around

Votes: 19 25.7%

• Total voters

Quinnylad

TEF Member
Fair comment - though I did say "May have" in my defence!

Just find it really frustrating that people have been bashing him and using this bottom 3 talk like we've got one game left to get out of there. When the reality of it is it's a shoddy start and nothing more.

Three points off fifth is the reality of it, though. Paints a hugely different picture than "bottom three". I just don't think a lot of fans are having anything he does now, TBF, which is a shame.
But he deserved to be bashed and criticised. His tactics and team selections have been woeful and his refusal to change anything was what put us in that position Yes going into the West Ham game in 18th didn't look great but as you say at this point in the season it was hardly terminal, which yesterdays win has shown.
HOWEVER, he was partially forced into many of those changes yesterday and whilst he deserves credit for making them, especially dropping Sigurdsson, its the next game when we will see how much he has learnt. If he reverts to form with his team selection and tactics, then we will be back to square one again

kev1

TEF Mortgage Broker - Mr. U-Turn
There’s no doubt in my mind that Morgan would have played yesterday and Coleman if not suspended so 2 of those changes were forced on him.
However the 2 big changes that worked were moving Iwobi to number 10 and bringing Walcott back - which wasn’t favoured by most on here.
It was a brilliant performance but it’s one game and we need consistency. If he changes the side next week then he’s a moron.
The same side deserves a chance to build some consistency.

MLWEFC

Getting a bit silly this place
We would’ve won with Schneiderlin and Coleman in the side yesterday IMO. That’s not to say they should come back into the team next week.

We won the game because of other changes to the side that certainly were not enforced.

McLovin

Super Love Islander that holds the place together
We would’ve won with Schneiderlin and Coleman in the side yesterday IMO. That’s not to say they should come back into the team next week.

We won the game because of other changes to the side that certainly were not enforced.
Coleman yes. scheiderlin not so sure. All the forward movement and getting ball forward came through Davies. Schneiderlin would have really slowed down the play

Quinnylad

TEF Member

possibly Coleman but Schneiderlin would have change the way we played completely his negative style of play by continually passing sideways and backwards would have killed the pace and forward play Davies especially helped generate

MLWEFC

Getting a bit silly this place
Coleman yes. scheiderlin not so sure. All the forward movement and getting ball forward came through Davies. Schneiderlin would have really slowed down the play
possibly Coleman but Schneiderlin would have change the way we played completely his negative style of play by continually passing sideways and backwards would have killed the pace and forward play Davies especially helped generate
Gomes and Schneiderlin would've had enough about them to win that game for us yesterday.

Delph and Schneiderlin not so much.

Mick Blue

Pervert & possible Love Islander
Gomes and Schneiderlin would've had enough about them to win that game for us yesterday.

Delph and Schneiderlin not so much.
Think I agree tbh, Gomes made a huge difference. It was nice to see Davies being positive though, having 2 CM’s with offensive mindsets was huge for us yesterday.

Iggy

Love Islander
The biggest difference yesterday was definitely Gomes. He completely changes how we play, especially when he plays instead of Schneiderlin.

Delph is fine as well. You have to remember that most of his games have been next to Schneiderlin, and the one time he started a game with Gomes, he actually got MOTM. By playing him next to Schneiderlin, your relying on him to be the main creator from the middle of the park and I don’t think that’s his game. Play him next to Gomes, and a lot of the pressure is relieved.

jon

Global Moderator
Tbf, Davies has been out of form for a while so the midfield choice was limited.
Would have liked to have seen Sigurdsson dropped sooner though.

pablo

TEF Member
Just no! He has no movement and is static. The front 3 were interchanging today and DCL cannot do that.
The change I can see in future is Kean for Bernard. Yes he scored a very good goal but his end product isn’t there and Richarlison isn’t a striker either.
Worked well today but we need a proper goalscorer up top and I hope Kean will be that man.
It's hard to judge the movement of the front 3. I think it it improved because the ball went forward more. That's down to the 3 in the middle, not just the forwards.

pablo

TEF Member

No chance. Schneiderlin impacts our play in such a negative way. Our best games are West ham and wolves, both without him.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Not sure if paywall so copied it, kopite Bascombe's done an article on Marco Silva - pretty run of the mill stuff but repeating points made on Walcott Gomes and Davies on here

Marco Silva has said he is not nervous about losing his job as Everton manager after a run of poor form
Marco Silva has said he is not nervous about losing his job as Everton manager after a run of poor form
  • Chris Bascombe
20 OCTOBER 2019 • 10:30 PM

After Everton's first Premier League win in five games, Chris Bascombe looks at the main talking points from a much-needed home victory against West Ham.

Silva calm amid the gathering storm
What do under pressure managers get up to in the days before ‘must win’ games?

Sketch out the statement to the League Managers’ Association, perhaps? Hold crisis talks with their agent working out how best to leak excuses while arranging the visit to Chris Kamara’s sofa?

Despite the scrutiny on his position, Marco Silva offered no hint he was readying himself for the worst, despite a four-game losing streak.

We may never know if that was bravado, but you have to admire Silva’s self-confidence. He has never moaned, used injuries to excuse poor performances, or ducked questions about job security.
Everton ended a four-game losing streak with a win over West ham at Goodison
Everton ended a four-game losing streak with a win over West ham at Goodison CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“Every day I go home with my conscience really clear because I did my best,” explained Silva after Saturday’s 2-0 win over West Ham.
“Why would I be nervous? I am not. Because in my life, everything I have comes from football. I have my career behind me and in the future as well.”

Such clarity of thought enabled him to get it tactically right with his unexpected and brave team selection.

Thank you for joining us, Theo

There is a list of players less suited to Everton than Theo Walcott, but for most of his Goodison career it has been difficult to think of many.

The former Arsenal man has often seemed an injury-prone luxury - a player most effective when a side is a couple of goals up so he can get on the scoresheet and then deliver a few post-match quotes about not giving up on his England career. That made his inclusion on Saturday seem as risky as it was surprising.

So credit where it is due. This was the Walcott everyone expects more often. It is easy to pick out the technically excellent moments such as the dribble and pass in the build-up to Bernard’s opening goal, or the 20 yard volley against the crossbar. Walcott’s attitude was more worthy of acclaim, harrying to regain possession and looking like a leader as much as creator. That earned him a standing ovation.

“Theo is an example as a professional,” said Silva.
Will it last? With respect, you can forgive those who have followed his career being a tad cautious. Nevertheless, if Walcott delivers like this on a consistent basis - especially away from Goodison - Everton’s top six ambitions will not be so fanciful.

Tom Davies can excel when cut some slack
Everton fans might admit they are not the most tolerant of their home-grown stars. It is a Goodison curiosity that rather than chants acclaiming ‘one of our own’, you are as likely to hear howls of frustration when the local boy first misplaces a pass.

Davies has suffered from being too good, too soon, his marvelous solo goal against Manchester City two years ago giving a false impression of a marauding, goalscoring midfielder rather than a reliable, technically gifted and aggressive tempo setter.

Davies perfectly complemented the highly skilled and productive Andre Gomes, the pairing outclassing Declan Rice and Mark Noble in a way few anticipated before kick-off.

As with Walcott, the criticism of Davies, Gomes and the outstanding Richarlison is inconsistency. When they are good it makes it more infuriating - more often than not on the road - when dominant displays are followed by anonymous ones.

But Davies is still only 21 and he has been used so sparingly this season this was the first opportunity to assess what kind of form he is in, and whether he should be a deputy for Fabian Delph or part of a three-man midfield.

On this evidence, the youngster can expect plenty more game time in the coming weeks.

West Ham were the perfect opponents
We cannot ignore West Ham’s abysmal contribution to Silva’s healthier job prospects. There was more energy shown by those mowing the Goodison lawn post-match than the visiting players.

Defensively they were terrorised by Walcott, Richarlison and Bernard, the midfielders barely made a tackle and the attackers made little effort to end their starvation diet.

Much more of this and any manager hoping to turn a corner will welcome West Ham to town. But they are not alone. Like so many clubs, Everton need to cure away woes of their own.

bluerinse

I thought there were few interesting bits in this...

The ‘training ground animal’, man-marking and reporting for duty early – how Silva got Everton winning again

By Greg O'Keeffe and Patrick Boyland

It started with a couple of frank meetings between Marco Silva and his players and finished with victory in what the Everton manager admitted was a “must-win” game against West Ham.

With his expensively-assembled team languishing in the relegation zone during the international break, the under-pressure Silva knew he simply had to do something to provoke a response at Goodison on Saturday.

Crucially, a response was exactly what he got.

After four defeats on the bounce, Silva had accepted this was not about subtle tweaks but rather a root-and-branch look at how best to maximise the resources in Everton’s squad. Something — or rather some things — had to change.

And so, afforded the best part of a fortnight to hatch a plan to get his underperforming side back on track, the Portuguese and his backroom team set about meticulously plotting the downfall of West Ham.

The two-week break featured several clear-the-air talks with his squad, many hours analysing West Ham’s strengths and weaknesses, and regular sessions on the training ground honing a new system for defending set pieces.

As with most Premier League sides during the break, Everton were without a host of their international stars. Jordan Pickford and Michael Keane were both part of Gareth Southgate’s England squad, while the likes of Lucas Digne, Seamus Coleman, Richarlison, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Alex Iwobi were also away with their countries.

Almost without fail, Everton ask their returning international stars to report for duty at either 3pm or 5pm the day after they get back, but this month the later time was simply not an option. Knowing he needed as much time on the training ground as possible to drill his players, Silva told his returning internationals to report to Finch Farm at the earlier time of 3pm.

There, squad meetings were called to determine what was going wrong and how it could be put right. Players were asked for input and, once the home truths had been aired, a steely determination emerged to put things right. The conversations were tough but just about everyone associated with the disappointing start to the season knew they needed to improve.

In the build-up to the weekend’s game, Silva and his backroom team analysed video footage of Everton and West Ham’s recent fixtures in the hope of finding answers to some of their ills. They came up with two solutions.

The first, in light of their woes at set pieces, was a switch from the much-criticised zonal marking at defensive corners to man-marking. It was the first time Silva had deviated from zonal marking, which has been his preferred method of defending during his time in England. Sources close to Everton confirmed the change in approach to The Athletic, with a group of between five to six defenders asked to go man-for-man at set-pieces while a smaller number defended in zones.

This was acceptance from Silva that his side’s defending from crosses has not been good enough so far this season — and a bold step forward for a manager who critics have labelled as intransigent.

Silva’s courage was repaid in full. Everton surrendered just one meaningful chance to West Ham from dead-ball situations — Angelo Ogbonna stinging the palms of Pickford in the second half from a corner that should probably have never been given — but, on the whole, Yerry Mina and Keane, in particular, were back to being their dominant selves.

Silva also saw West Ham midfielder Declan Rice as another potential weakness. Sources confirmed to The Athletic that the Everton manager had identified space either side of Rice that Everton could exploit. The idea was to effectively play with two No 10s in Iwobi and Bernard, who came in regularly from his position on the left, to create a numerical advantage that Rice would not have the pace to cover.
“The manager told me to try to get the team going forward as quickly as possible but also keep the ball and create chances and I felt I would be able to do that,” Iwobi told EvertonTV after the game.

With Tom Davies and Andre Gomes reinstated at the expense of the injured Fabian Delph and Morgan Schneiderlin, and Iwobi and Bernard thriving in the hole, West Ham were unable to cope with the fluidity in Everton’s game. The approach focused on rapid transitions and quick switches, and yielded an xG of 2.23 according to Understat.

Silva’s team selection had initially raised eyebrows. Among five changes, Theo Walcott was recalled to the right wing as Richarlison moved to a makeshift role up front. Whereas against Burnley, Sigurdsson and Dominic Calvert-Lewin exchanged just one pass between them all game, here Iwobi and Richarlison managed six. According to Opta, Iwobi also made 18 passes into the final third and six into the West Ham area. Sigurdsson’s totals against Burnley read six and three respectively.

Everton were more dangerous for the ingenuity of dual playmakers Iwobi and Bernard and the pace and movement of Walcott and Richarlison, but they were also helped by a much more efficient midfield behind them.

On his first start of the season, Davies made 20 forward passes — the most by an Everton player — and managed a pass completion of 85 per cent. Alongside him, the elegant Andre Gomes also excelled and was awarded broadcaster BT Sport’s man of the match prize.

Homegrown talent Davies may have been fortunate to feature in the absence of Delph and Schneiderlin but he grabbed his chance with both hands and was described as a “special” talent by Silva after the game. Sources have told The Athletic that Everton view the young midfielder as their present and future, but have told him to improve his consistency. The feeling in some quarters is that negative comments from the crowd have had an adverse impact on a player who is at his best when looking to be bold on the ball.

Even during a spell in which they were both out of the team, Davies — “a training ground animal” according to one source — and Schneiderlin were taken aside by Silva and singled out for their work ethic at Finch Farm. The understanding was that opportunities would present themselves if the pair continued to put in the hard yards. Walcott is another to have benefited from Silva’s desire to reward performances in training. Two of the three were key here.

Given his dearth of game-time, it would have been no surprise if Davies had been rusty. Yet two full 90 minutes for England Under-21s during the break helped his match fitness and he returned to Everton with a point to prove. For all the outside focus on his appearance and interests off the field, sources say Davies wants nothing more than to succeed at his boyhood club. There is a burning desire to improve Everton’s fortunes that was fully evident on the pitch on Saturday — particularly in the aftermath of Sigurdsson’s match-clinching goal.

Aside from his role tactically, Davies is also one of the louder figures in the dressing room. The midfielder has captained England age-group sides all the way through to under-21 level and was also handed the armband by Silva at times last season. His leadership was evident both in rousing his team-mates in the dressing room before the game and in the tunnel just before kick-off.

What followed was an all-action display from the midfielder, who regained the ball 13 times, distributed smartly through the opposition lines and, in tandem with Gomes, dominated the midfield. Davies has also been told to avoid early bookings that hamper his ability to make challenges. A yellow card duly came in first-half injury time, but by then he had helped Everton to get a grip of a game they never looked likely to relinquish.

Davies has had to watch on as Rice, among others, have leapfrogged him in the England pecking order. It has left the Everton youngster with a point to prove for both club and country, but there was only one winner in their personal duel on Saturday.

But then, all over the pitch, Everton players won their battles. Victory was a cathartic moment after what had gone before. As Sigurdsson’s shot hit the back of the net, Davies sank to his knees then hugged Keane. It was relief that the plan had come off.

Silva and his players deserve credit for turning the ship around in the face of adversity. The next challenge is to sustain it, starting with Brighton away on Saturday.

Hugo's left kidney

‘connected’
‘The feeling in some quarters is that negative comments from the crowd have had an adverse impact on a player who is at his best when looking to be bold on the ball.’

Well who’da thunk it?
I know shite fans have their issues, but some of our own fans are just fucking weird. Lad who sat behind me would never let up on Osman for the whole 90 minutes. "Use your pace" was the one sarcastic comment that will outlast even 4 dimensional peas. Loads of us were chuffed when he didn't turn up for the first game of the following season.

Rich

Global Moderator
I know shite fans have their issues, but some of our own fans are just fucking weird. Lad who sat behind me would never let up on Osman for the whole 90 minutes. "Use your pace" was the one sarcastic comment that will outlast even 4 dimensional peas. Loads of us were chuffed when he didn't turn up for the first game of the following season.
STOP MENTIONING THE PEAS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)