• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Player Jordan Pickford

Gym or bin?

• Gym

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Bin

Votes: 37 52.9%

• Total voters

bluerinse

That's just a good manager backing his player. Have no doubts, Carlo will be looking at him and thinking improve or you're gone.

He will, but the window closes a week on Monday, so you'd think he knows by now if he wants to move forwards with Pickford or get somebody else.

Fozastuta

TEF Member
He will, but the window closes a week on Monday, so you'd think he knows by now if he wants to move forwards with Pickford or get somebody else.

If he had the option to get a decent keeper in now, he would, I have little doubts. Maybe we just don't have the money, rather than he thinks Pickford is his first choice. I don't think Pickford will be Everton's goal keeper come next summer, because I don't think its poor form, i just think he's bad keeper and will cost Everton points.

bluerinse

If he had the option to get a decent keeper in now, he would, I have little doubts. Maybe we just don't have the money, rather than he thinks Pickford is his first choice. I don't think Pickford will be Everton's goal keeper come next summer, because I don't think its poor form, i just think he's bad keeper and will cost Everton points.

I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm just saying that it seems more than likely he's our first choice keeper this season.

We might not like it but that's the way it's going.

Fozastuta

TEF Member
I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm just saying that it seems more than likely he's our first choice keeper this season.

We might not like it but that's the way it's going.

I dont like it, but I cant do anything about it. What I will say is, Carlo will regret it if its through choice and not circumstantial. I would also guess, that if he fucks up at the rate he has been before the window shuts, Everton will look to bring in someone like a Romero for a season.

I hope Pickford can turn it around and we see more of a Spurs type performance, but highly doubt it sadly.

bluerinse

I dont like it, but I cant do anything about it. What I will say is, Carlo will regret it if its through choice and not circumstantial. I would also guess, that if he fucks up at the rate he has been before the window shuts, Everton will look to bring in someone like a Romero for a season.

I hope Pickford can turn it around and we see more of a Spurs type performance, but highly doubt it sadly.

If Pickford drops a couple of clangers against Palace and West Ham, or even Brighton, I think they might be forced to get somebody.

However, I do genuinely wonder if Lossl can be that much worse than Pickford in terms of making mistakes that cost goals. His ceiling might be lower, but we aren't asking for miracles, just somebody steady who's not going to throw them in (I believe that would be the thinking if we got Romero). Could he be worth a go before we and sign a number 1 next summer? I feel like everybody has written the guy off and we haven't even seen him in an Everton shirt.

Personally, I just don't think it was ever in the plan to sign a new number 1 this summer. They saw what the team did last season and while Pickford wasn't exactly a good performer, the way the midfield started after lockdown, it was crystal clear that was our mian problem, so they went and solved it by bringing in genuine quality.

We'd (and Carlo would) love to be able to sort the midfield, sort the centre halves, sort the right back, sort the keeper and get the pacey forward that's the cherry on the top, but because of past failings in the market and an inability to get numerous players out of the door, I think we are hamstrung.

Fozastuta

TEF Member
I keep seeing people saying Lossl is shit, but I can honestly say, i've haven't seen a huge deal of him and when I have, he was alright on the couple of occasions.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
The indications are we're stuck with Pickford for this season at least, I don't discount a last minute panic move for a short term replacement like Romero or another stopgap if he costs us badly again tomorrow, but he's hoping to concentrate primarily on a centre half before any other position.

You get the impression that centre-half is the only urgent need.

bluerinse

I think it's also worth saying that Ancelotti has been round the block enough times to know how to manage individuals and use the press.

Some people react positively to being called out, some people react badly to it.
Some people need the old arm around them, tyres pumping up, or however you want to put it.

Carlo obviously believes Pickford is the latter and he knows the character of the man, so if believes Pickfords needs his tyres pumping up in public than that's what he'll do to try and get the best out of him. He won't be arsed about what Evertonians on the internet think.

Both Ancelotti and Pickford will be under no illusions that those errors on Wednesday aren't good enough and they're happening too often. But those conversations will be held in private, as they should be.

Behind the scenes it could all be very different from what Carlo said today, for all we know, he could have put Brands on alert that he wants a new keeper this month.

Ancelotti isn't new to this game.

RoyalBlueBoy

Probably a Love Islander
I was one defending Pickford last season and he started this one well against Spurs. I can't really defend the Fleetwood game though. It was really poor from him and it just showed lack of concentration more than anything. The rest of the squad seem fired up and fighting for places where as he doesn't seem to have that.

The reasons I want to stick by him though is one, we know he has been a really good keeper before. He was our player of the season not too long ago. Two, I don't see us getting anybody else in who would be that top level we would want so don't see reason for jumping all over him and making his confidence worse. Chelsea have spent all summer looking for a new keeper and have ended up with someone I have never heard of. It's really difficult to get a top keeper. I can only think of 5 maybe 6. The rest all have mistake in them.

Potrik

TEF Member
It really doesn’t help his cause that he comes across as an absolute bellend.

The Joe Hart comparisons are right on the money for me. Both egotistical airheads that can’t stop a slide in form because of their overinflated opinion of themselves.

Pickford will be at Burnley within 3 years.

mr_pib

TEF Member
It really doesn’t help his cause that he comes across as an absolute bellend.

The Joe Hart comparisons are right on the money for me. Both egotistical airheads that can’t stop a slide in form because of their overinflated opinion of themselves.

Pickford will be at Burnley within 3 years.
Agree with this sadly. I thought we would be set with Pickford for a decade, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to be the case the way he’s going.

Rockafella

Shoebox entrepreneur
You just don't know which Pickford is going to turn up from game to game, he can have great games, good saves, come for balls in the box, it's just a roll of the dice when he plays.

Luckily his mistakes in midweek didn't matter to the result.

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
There was multiple times yesterday when he could've come out, claimed the ball and calmed everyone down. His confidence is absolutely shot.

You can see Mina and Keane don't want the ball to go near him.

bluerinse

Second half there was one crossed free kick straight into the bread basket and he punched it away and totally muffed the contact.

There wasn't a player around him either.

Also was I the only one who thought the goal went right through him?

graeme

TEF Member
Second half there was one crossed free kick straight into the bread basket and he punched it away and totally muffed the contact.

There wasn't a player around him either.

Also was I the only one who thought the goal went right through him?

I'm one of his biggest critics at the moment but can't really blame him for the goal, the pace it was headed at and how close he was it was impossible to react to it in time imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 3)