• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Player Jordan Pickford

Gym or bin?

• Gym

Votes: 33 47.1%
  • Bin

Votes: 37 52.9%

• Total voters

Mug

TEF Member
Keane doesn’t do much wrong with that pass to Pickford. You could argue he might punt it up field himself but that’ll be a tactical instruction from Ancelotti not to, but the pass is weighted perfectly and shouldn’t be causing a goalkeeper any problems to clear it.

The blame is squarely on Pickfords shoulders for trying to be smart and you can see that from his reaction.

Magnifico

TEF Member
No goalkeeper punts a ball upfield if their body isn’t set. Which it wasn’t because Michael Keane shouldnt he playing such an hospital pass to the goalkeeper.

basics.

Mug

TEF Member
No goalkeeper punts a ball upfield if their body isn’t set. Which it wasn’t because Michael Keane shouldnt he playing such an hospital pass to the goalkeeper.

basics.

There’s nothing wrong with the pass, Pickford fails to deal with it first time and causes his own problems.

Romeo Sensini

TEF Member
The pass was well weighted enough he could have booted it into touch with either foot, not a good choice of pass from Keane by any stretch but fucking hell, I'm as left footed as they come and could always get enough on a clearance with my right, a professional goalkeeper should be able to do the same with relative comfort. Instead once again he thinks he's far better than he is, or his brain stops working for a second, or whatever it is, the end result is costing us goals at an alarming rate now.

basics.
Sorry but you are wrong. He should be taking that on his right foot and clipping it long and wide. Or just booting it to touch with his left.

Mick Blue

Pervert & possible Love Islander
Nobody's suggesting we look at getting a better gk coach?

Would be a damn sight cheaper.

Not a lot that Pickford is doing wrong that can't be improved with proper coaching, whether mental or technical.

I’m not convinced that’ll help tbh. Can’t think of too many keepers who’ve come back to the very top after such a prolonged period of clangers. Wouldn’t be against us trying something with him as he won’t be replaced this window imo.

bluerinse

Last night was a classic example of Pickford letting his guard down. His mind must've gone wondering, as it does all too often, and suddenly we unncesserily have a game on our hands when at HT I think we were all wondering how many we'd score. I know I was thinking let's make this 6, 7 or 8.

There will be times this season when the goals aren't flowing. We all know it's unusual for Everton to be attacking with such confidence and such verve, so when inevitably our games do tighten up, we can't afford to have our number 1 keeper dropping clangers. Not if we want to do something this season.

The problem is, we're too far down the road now this summer to look at signing a new first choice goalkeeper. They're hard to find at the best of times, let alone with less than a fortnight to go. Could we perhaps look at another team's back up? Perhaps, but who would we be looking at? Tom Heaton? Willy Cabellero? Sergio Romero? I'm sure some of us would have any of those over Pickford.

Maybe with hindsight we could've gone for Emi Martinez, but as far as I'm aware, signing a new first choice keeper was never on the agenda this summer.

andrew street

CDPA Panelist
I’m not convinced that’ll help tbh. Can’t think of too many keepers who’ve come back to the very top after such a prolonged period of clangers. Wouldn’t be against us trying something with him as he won’t be replaced this window imo.
It can't be coincidence that in spite the number of keepers that have been on our books in the last 8 or 9 years we have had little to be pleased about.
Be they established like Tim and Jordan going downhill, sturdy but unexceptional back ups like Stek who were actually rubbish or any of our promising young keepers ( remember when that would be all we signed in the first half of every summer window,) none have kicked on, and most have actually regressed.
I think the JP howlers are having a cumulative effect on his confidence and other's perceptions. He doesn't cock up for the first goal, he doesn't get half as much heat for the second. But I think they are still fixable, as the talent is clearly still there.

Iggy

Love Islander
Pickford has to take the blame for that first goal, but it was a fuckin shite ball by Michael Keane. Not that it's an excuse, but I'd like to think Pickford twats that clear against better opposition. At least it was in a game where we were cruising and hopefully it's something he can learn from.

We aren't replacing Pickford in this window. We have to just hope he manages to play himself into some form.

IRISHBLUE101

Global Moderator
The players have been asked to play out from the back but they need to know when to take no chances and punt it as well.
I’m just glad that it happened in a cup game against lower opposition rather than the league.
We need to learn from it.

Consayblue22

TEF Member
That first goal is all on Pickford for me, even Pickford thinks so, hence why he fumes at himself after it instead of kicking off at Keane.

He is a dickhead and needs replacing as soon as we can, lost total faith in him now.

jon

CDPA Panelist (like Rich)
It was a poor pass that should have resulted in a throw-in or corner for them. THat it ended in a goal was down to Pickford's decision to turn across his goal with the ball with players closing him down. They were both contributing factors, but the larger part is on Pickford.

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
It was a poor pass that should have resulted in a throw-in or corner for them. THat it ended in a goal was down to Pickford's decision to turn across his goal with the ball with players closing him down. They were both contributing factors, but the larger part is on Pickford.

A decent keeper clears his lines and then batters his centre back, keeping them on their toes.

Mike

Formerly Just Mike & Micky
Nevs heart is in the right place but by his own admission he hasn't seen the mistakes.

If everyone just needed a bit of support when going through a rough time nobody would be a bad player.

dixies60

TEF Member
Big Nev. The voice of reason.

View: https://twitter.com/nevillesouthall/status/1309092310400065543?s=21

However, I’m not sure how we back him when no crowds in and he’s not a social media type of guy
He was goalkeeper at a very different time he could just pick the Ball up and wouldn't have 3 players closing him down. So I can see why he is being lenient but for someone who is critical at times he seems to not to be able to criticise goalkeepers.

A modern goalkeeper should expect to be closed down and be able to deal with it pickford didn't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)