• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Golf

graeme

TEF Member
Nailing these foursomes this afternoon.

Lots of blue on the board.

Got to admit as well, love butch harmon on commentary, no bias from him whatsoever and always offers good insight.

bluerinse

I've learned first hand that the Americans get the raw end of the bargain with the tv times of the Ryder Cup. Started at 2.10am last night and finished at 11.40am. At least when they host it we can watch it without having to pull all nighters!

Anyway, that meant I couldn't watch it all. But in what I did see, I thought the European team had the best pairs this afternoon (not just cos they all won but the best combinations). They should go with the same fellas for the morning and look to maintain momentum.

Fantastic for Tommy Fleetwood and Francesco Molinari to win both and take down two of their strongest pairs.

Last edited:

graeme

TEF Member
Was fucking brilliant. Played a round down at formby hall this morning then watched a bit of it there, everyone was buzzing for Tommy.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Moliwood beats Hollywood?

What an astonishing comeback this afternoon!

Only Southport's top golfer Tommy Fleetwood and Molinari were successfully in the morning fourballs, as Tiger notched up yet another loss to add to his long and miserable record in this event, but to take a 5-3 lead with a clean sweep against all the odds in the afternoon foursomes was some comeback.

What a start for the European tour champion and rookie too as Tommy and Molinari followed up taking down Tiger by inflicting their own 5&4 humiliation on the US crack pairing of Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth.

A little surprised Justin Rose isn’t lined up tomorrow morning, Europe have got them by the nuts, and not seeing Rose in the lineup tomorrow will almost be a bit of a relief I think.

Perhaps Justin himself thought three rounds in two days enough, presuming he plays tomorrow afternoon and wanted to sit out the morning, McIlroy has played two today and playing the fourballs tomorrow too, it'll be interesting to see if he has a rest in the foursomes. With the singles it could be five rounds in three days which maybe thought too much unless you're winning all the time.

Ian 'Ryder Cup point' Poulter and Rahm won't be short of a bit of chest pumping and playing to the crowd.

Poulter has only played this afternoon and he wins so often and has the best Ryder Cup record of all, to leave him out again wasn't possible.

Casey and Hatton went round well under par despite losing and I suppose Hatton would have been the most obvious candidate and Garcia's win probably made sure he would play tomorrow morning.

bluerinse

Was it MLWEFC @MLWEFC who backed Fleetwood top points scorer? Looks a two horse race between him and Francesco. The singles draw could be telling.

Saw an interview with them on NBC and they seemed very calm in each other's company. Very complimentary. Good mates supposedly (I think a lot of them like Francesco, a pros pro).

bluerinse

I can see maybe 4 points in that. Hatton could tip it.
On paper they're stronger than us but the added pressure they're under could show.

I think it's key for Rory and Justin to stand up early as big boy players. Get those two points on the board and it's a struggle for the US.

jon

Global Moderator
On paper they're stronger than us but the added pressure they're under could show.

I think it's key for Rory and Justin to stand up early as big boy players. Get those two points on the board and it's a struggle for the US.
I think Rose might be ok, although Simpson played well today.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Home advantage is absolutely huge, so Europe must be well fancied to win the singles tomorrow.

Rose, Fleetwood, Molinari and Stentson to bag four points I think.

Although Tommy and Francesco have taken all the headlines, one man has rather gone under the radar and has arguably been just as valuable for Europe too...

Tiger has been absolutely outstanding for Europe this week so Jon Rahm should beat him and make it five with Alex Noren looking an outstanding favourite for six. Poulter too must have a chance despite Johnson being ranked one, as his Ryder Cup form is exceptional and he's really only been let down by his partners in his two losses with only the one win.

For the USA i'd think possibly wins for Thomas, Koepka, Speith and Captain America Reid.

Garcia vs Fowler too tough to call imo

So 7-5 to Europe is about what I think if Poulter Johnson and Garcia Fowler points are shared but a 6-6 draw at the worst, meaning 16-12 at worst but more likely 17 - 11

Europe 2/11 to win, USA 9/1, a draw 14/1 would also be good enough for the US to retain the Cup.

Last edited:

liquidfootball2

TEF Member

Can't see a McIlroy win as very likely, really the first two matches could both go to the US on a day where Europe win the singles. Their best chances imo rest with Thomas, Koepka, Speith and Captain America Reid.

Just think we've too many bankers just after those first two for the US, playing at home is key above everything else imo

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)