• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

General Everton Talk

pablo

TEF Member
He was one of the most consistent players we've had recently. Amongst the best players every week.
It's Brands biggest failure that he went and we replaced him with Delph and Gbamin. Absolute shite.

Rich

CDPA Panelist (like jon) Sad panda
He was one of the most consistent players we've had recently. Amongst the best players every week.
It's Brands biggest failure that he went and we replaced him with Delph and Gbamin. Absolute shite.
Not sure you can blame him for Gbamin like. Delph for sure.

Bluebru

Resident queer
Not sure you can blame him for Gbamin like. Delph for sure.
Delph was worth a gamble at the time imo, obviously it didn’t pan out and the gamble hasn’t paid off but was worth a punt given his experience and low price for me

pablo

TEF Member
Delph was worth a gamble at the time imo, obviously it didn’t pan out and the gamble hasn’t paid off but was worth a punt given his experience and low price for me
Was he though? He was picking up injuries for a top side where he didn't have to do a lot of work, then he's asked to graft his arse off for a mid table team. You can tell from some of his early comments he thinks that's Everton's level.

thebluenose

TEF Member
Remember when people used to criticize Gueye because he "couldn't pass"?

Idiots.
A tale as old as time. Everton Da's wanting to sell our best players because of a perceived weakness.

Lukaku scored 20na season, but apparently he didn't run enough so he had to go.

Gueye was easily our best midfielder and probably the one transfer Steve Walsh got right. But he couldn't pass so sell.

Richarlison has been one of our best players since he joined. But some hate his attitude so let's cash in...

I'm certain these people hate good players and won't be happy until we have a team of cloggers like Tony Hibbert

pablo_p

TEF Member
A tale as old as time. Everton Da's wanting to sell our best players because of a perceived weakness.

Gueye was easily our best midfielder and probably the one transfer Steve Walsh got right. But he couldn't pass so sell.

Richarlison has been one of our best players since he joined. But some hate his attitude so let's cash in...

I'm certain these people hate good players and won't be happy until we have a team of cloggers like Tony Hibbert

100% this.

Graft vs craft is always a legitimate argument; but as a fanbase we're too entrenched in the "Dogs of War" attitude and we forget that we had to be battle axes back then because we were crap for the most part and battling relegation year on year.

We're afraid of the luxury players and we seem to absolutely loathe Attacking Mids as they either aren't creating 6 million chances a game and they aren't doing enough defensively.

James gets away with it because he's an absolute megastar - but even then there are a few mutterings about his involvement already.

Kyoto

TEF Member
Gueye was a great player, one of the best ball winners in the world but he really couldn't pass, Him and Doucoure would be the bollocks together though.

bluerinse

You can add James to the list as well. 'Always injured', 'doesn't fancy it' and 'doesn't add anything to us' are just 3 shouts I've seen repeatedly.

In a similar vain, it'll probably start to happen with Ancelotti. 'Past it', 'one last payday', 'can only work with top players'... let's get somebody younger, Eddie Howe is available.

As pablo_p pablo_p says, there's a section of the fanbase that love the 'dogs of war' type ethos. It's been that way for yonks and you could write a long list of players who've fallen foul of it. It's rare that there's a player that's unanimously liked and rated by Evertonians of all ages.

Mick Blue

Pervert & possible Love Islander
You can add James to the list as well. 'Always injured', 'doesn't fancy it' and 'doesn't add anything to us' are just 3 shouts I've seen repeatedly.

In a similar vain, it'll probably start to happen with Ancelotti. 'Past it', 'one last payday', 'can only work with top players'... let's get somebody younger, Eddie Howe is available.

As pablo_p pablo_p says, there's a section of the fanbase that love the 'dogs of war' type ethos. It's been that way for yonks and you could write a long list of players who've fallen foul of it. It's rare that there's a player that's unanimously liked and rated by Evertonians of all ages.

James alone is fantastic but a side containing him, Gomes, Sigurdsson & Davies is just too pedestrian as far as I’m concerned. We need to get legs and willing runners around him. An athletic RB and a forward thinking CM make a huge difference to this side imo.

Floody

TEF Member
I wouldn’t say the majority of Everton fans want a dogs of war team. There are still a small number that can remember the likes of Alex Young and the school of science era.
I think what the fans want as a minimum is 100% effort in each game from the players. This season they proved they could do it at Anfield but not against the likes of Newcastle and Fulham.

A balance is what is needed especially in midfield. The 80s team had the skills of Sheedy & Steven plus the graft of Reid & Bracewell.

Rich

CDPA Panelist (like jon) Sad panda
It's unfortunate, but it's still a failure. It was a gamble Gbamin would be good enough or Delph would be fit enough.
Well, by that logic, every foreign transfer is a gamble then.

You can’t account for a player crocking himself for two years immediately after him signing, ffs. There are other sticks to beat Brands with like Iwobi & Delph, but Gbamin certainly isn’t one.

mr_pib

TEF Member
Well, by that logic, every foreign transfer is a gamble then.

You can’t account for a player crocking himself for two years immediately after him signing, ffs. There are other sticks to beat Brands with like Iwobi & Delph, but Gbamin certainly isn’t one.
People blaming Brands for Gbamin being a failure due to 2(possibly 3) bad injuries that they couldn’t have foreseen reminds me of back in the day on Kipper when people used to brand Yakubu a flop & blamed Moyes for wasting the money because his Achilles went pop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 2)