• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Football 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member

In all the papers and mainstream media now, the new owners (apparently) refusing to put any more money in less than a month after taking over - may not be true but the rumour mill has been going full pelt on it.

The administrators have said they will launch a full investigation into all the circumstances surrounding the switch of ownership once they've saved the club.

Last edited:

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
I've been a big advocate of VAR and still think they'll eventually get it far better than now, but there's no doubt the way the premier league are currently applying it is a total mess.

The disallowed West Ham goal against Chelsea (similar to our own against United) and last night's disallowed Harry Kane effort proves how senseless the rules are, that is as they currently stand and are being applied now, technically correct decisions but against any sort of common sense.

Last night's was a perfect example, Luca Moura was fouled, and as he fell stretched out his arms in front of him to break his fall, Sheffield United's John Egan then inadvertantly kicked the ball against one of his outstretched hands and the ball deflected on to Harry Kane. The fouled man's team shouldn't then be penalised because of it, it's absolutely absurd.

We're putting up with enough having badly incompetent officials like Jon Moss referee his share of matches, without then exacerbating it with extremely unbending, strict and rigid interpretations of the VAR handball process, it's just gone too far now and desperately needs reform for next season.

mr_pib

TEF Member
That decision to disallow Spurs goal last night is solely down to the rule introduced at the start of the season. The minute that ball touches your team-mates hand, regardless of context, it’s no goal.

bluerinse

Yeh the two inadvertent handballs last night, Moura and Foden, aren't a VAR issue.

It's just the old school journalists and ex footballers aren't having VAR so use the controversial new handball law as another stick to beat VAR with.

It's an issue with the handball law. Not VAR. For once the VAR officials actually did their jobs correctly with these examples.

To be very honest I understand why it's black and white with handballs.

As soon as they have to decide what's deliberate and what's not you have a grey area where you'll see the big clubs getting every judgement call.

The biggest issue I have with it is it's different between attacking and defensive handball.

If it hits a defenders hand or arm in the box it's still a judgement call on whether it's deliberate. So surely it should be the same in both the defensive and attacking phases.

mr_pib

TEF Member
Yeh the two inadvertent handballs last night, Moura and Foden, aren't a VAR issue.

It's an issue with the law.

As soon as they have to decide what's deliberate and what's not you have a grey area where you'll see the big clubs getting every judgement call..
I think the problem is if it’s an attacker touching the ball it’s black and white. It’s the fact that a defender touching it in the area with hands has such a grey area that’s the problem. I don’t see how the rules can be different for attacking & defending teams in the penalty area.

bluerinse

I think the problem is if it’s an attacker touching the ball it’s black and white. It’s the fact that a defender touching it in the area with hands has such a grey area that’s the problem. I don’t see how the rules can be different for attacking & defending teams in the penalty area.

Ha you beat my edit mate

Ste lucas

Knows where The Titanic hotel is.
In all the papers and mainstream media now, the new owners (apparently) refusing to put any more money in less than a month after taking over - may not be true but the rumour mill has been going full pelt on it.

The administrators have said they will launch a full investigation into all the circumstances surrounding the switch of ownership once they've saved the club.
Apparently loaned 29m to pay for the club with 8% interest and the basis to pay it back in 12 months

liquidfootball2

TEF Member

It's just the old school journalists and ex footballers aren't having VAR so use the controversial new handball law as another stick to beat VAR with.

It's an issue with the handball law. Not VAR. For once the VAR officials actually did their jobs correctly with these examples.

As soon as they have to decide what's deliberate and what's not you have a grey area where you'll see the big clubs getting every judgement call.

The biggest issue I have with it is it's different between attacking and defensive handball.

If it hits a defenders hand or arm in the box it's still a judgement call on whether it's deliberate. So surely it should be the same in both the defensive and attacking phases.

I don't really disagree that there is no issue with the VAR technology itself, ghost goals aside, but there does have to be an additional modicum of common sense used in interpreting it, although this is perhaps very dangerous in that given any room for discretion you can guarantee that some of our referees will seek out the very worst possible option.

My real gripe is by committing an act of clear foul play the defensive team is seen to benefit not at the margins, but absolutely massively. A forward who is on the attack in a dangerous position and subsequently tripped or fouled shouldn't himself be heavily penalised for any accidental handball by himself resulting directly from the incident. itself.

In the case of Moura, VAR did it's job in that it identified the ball had struck his hand as he fell after being tripped when a Sheffield United defender kicked it against it. To then penalise Spurs for that after the referee who has seen the foul waves play on, isn't just senseless it's the height of stupidity and brings the interpretation of the rules surrounding VAR into disrepute. Then to cap it all the referee who had an absolute nightmare, then turns round and gives Sheffield a free kick because Moura who was fouled had the ball kicked against the hand used to break his fall. He had waved advantage for that very same incident minutes before, surely he can remember it - is it really as understandable as Dermot (Gallagher) claimed or is it the 999th time this week he's bended over backwards to defend his mates?

Even Dermot Gallagher couldn't defend the horror of a decision in allowing Sheffield to keep eleven men on the pitch, the player (Norwood) looked at the Spurs man while the ball was in the air, took careful aim with his elbow before clattering the striker in the face as the ball came down. The referee who had just booked him just bottled it.

This for me is without doubt the worst VAR decision of the season, and make no mistake it was a VAR decision. The decision just doesn't entail the technology which correctly showed that the ball was struck by the defender against Moura's supporting arm following his trip, but how that information is both interpreted and used. It was in this second process where the current useage falls down so badly and causes embarrassment to both officials and fury to both players and supporters of the unfortunate team.

I know Sheff Utd suffered the disallowed so called 'ghost' goal caused more than anything else by a technical deficiency where there was a blind spot with all cameras view obscured and no bleep on the ref's watch, that was a technical deficiency and can be solved with extra cameras or differently positioned ones. The embarrassment last night had very human causes and could have been forseen and prevented when planning what VAR checks should happen following each goal and how they should be interpreted and acted upon. It should never ever be repeated. Mahrez's 'goal' just underlined how urgently it needs modifying.

The VAR technology wasn't wrong, it's the way it's being applied that needs modifying as it really is becoming a joke.

Last edited:

bluerinse

The Fleetwood penalty was soft beyond belief.

The Wycombe one was as obvious as you'll ever see.

Great save to deny Wycombe daylight.

Statue of Dixie

Blue Steel
Oh typical! After the first borefest play-off between Portsmouth & Oxford, I opted for the Charlton v Millwall instead of the next play-off, it is of course 0-0

bluerinse

Second half wasn't quite so lively as the first. Just one goal and one red card.

The red card was two yellows in thirty seconds of each other. Fleetwood Player goes down in the box, booked for diving, argues and gets a second yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)