• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Everton Howard's Way

Romeo Sensini

TEF Member
I'd be annoyed having paid for it the other week, but it was a brilliant watch, and all for an excellent cause so I cant complain.

obstructedview

TEF Member
I've just watched this for the first time, genuinely brought tears to my eyes.
I remember those times, I was so fortunate to have been there, those games I went to, all the stories, the lads I grew up with, the Bayern semi etc etc.
I remember my dad telling me all about the 60's team when I was a kid, and now I'm telling my 9yr old about the team of the 80's.
Great times.
RIP Howard.
Up the fucking Blues!!!

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
I've just watched this for the first time, genuinely brought tears to my eyes.
I remember those times, I was so fortunate to have been there, those games I went to, all the stories, the lads I grew up with, the Bayern semi etc etc.
I remember my dad telling me all about the 60's team when I was a kid, and now I'm telling my 9yr old about the team of the 80's.
Great times.
RIP Howard.
Up the fucking Blues!!!

Just downloaded it, reading this makes it a must watch today!

Floody

TEF Member
Watching it again makes me sad to think that we have won just one solitary trophy in 33 years.

I did not realise at the time how fortunate I was to be watching the best team Everton have ever had.

Reactions: jon

Rich

CDPA Panelist (like jon)
Watching it again makes me sad to think that we have won just one solitary trophy in 33 years.

I did not realise at the time how fortunate I was to be watching the best team Everton have ever had.
No offence, but you haven’t got a clue mate! It just makes it fucking worse that it happened in the memories of most fans and at least those who were too young at that time saw us lift the cup a few years later.

I know it sounds petulant and bitter, but it’s true. I am bitter. My mental health has improved no end without this hopeless club fucking up my weekends and consuming my every other thought. I half hoped it would all go pop, so I could walk away from Everton more easily, but like S @scott_efc said in another thread, I know I’ll get sucked in to it again. I hate it.

Fozastuta

Banned
Banned
Colin Harvey talking about needing to win everyday, not just on Saturday. That is a huge thing for me and one of the reasons I can't take to modern day Everton players. Weak as piss, shitbag losers. Could you imagine fannies like Sigurddson, Schneiderlin or Keane playing in that era? Yet everyone of them are set for life and won't need to work ever again.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
The biggest regret for me in that era besides the league cup and United cup final losses, more than made up for with league titles, an FA cup win and the European Cup Winners Cup, was the repercussions of the Heysel ban. The way we were so singularly and massively punished for something which had nothing to do with us. The chance to dominate Europe as a blanket ban on all English clubs was introduced.

(As pretty much every English club winning the league did in those days - days when winning the European Cup the season after was a mere formality for the league chsmpions as only league winners entered it.

Aston Villa won the European Cup at the first time of asking in their first ever European Cup campaign, , as did Nottingham Forest, only two seasons after being 2nd Division winners, and who then went one better repeating the feat in their second one too. Liverpool won most of their European Cups at a time when English clubs won every year - far easier to win when only champions of Finland, Sweden etc entered and only one team from stronger nations Germany, Italy)

It was especially poignant when Pat van den Hauwe just couldn't bring himself to even comment on the injustice, obviously just still too affected by it all, the players possibly had their chance of being household names throughout Europe just cruelly snatched away by events beyond their control, and the ban must have been an influence on Howard leaving for Spain a year or two later too following our second league title win.

- tbh I thought the second championship win was only commented on right at the end, virtually as an afterthought and the contributions of the likes of Wayne Clarke etc in that win just ignored.

Last edited:

SteveEFC89

Captain of Captains
Colin Harvey talking about needing to win everyday, not just on Saturday. That is a huge thing for me and one of the reasons I can't take to modern day Everton players. Weak as piss, shitbag losers. Could you imagine fannies like Sigurddson, Schneiderlin or Keane playing in that era? Yet everyone of them are set for life and won't need to work ever again.
We are getting what we deserve. Failure. Every year.

SteveEFC89

Captain of Captains
If there’s one thing I hope Ancelotti got all the players doing during lockdown, it was making sure they all watch this.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
I enjoyed looking back to our great times but tbh didn't go overboard on it even though they were great times, not enough on the manager and the football - especially the second championship win for me and far too much on Derek Hatton and non football trivia that wasn't particularly relevant unless making a social documentary

It was Howard's Way for goodness sake not a Merseyside in the 80's study.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
It really should've had a bit more on 86/87, winning the title that season, and by 9 points, it was an even bigger achievement than in 1985 for me, even if they say the first one is always the most difficult.

Big Nev didn't come back until October, Gary Stevens missed a fair chunk of the season, Peter Reid and Pat Van Den Hauwe didn't kick a ball until February, Paul Bracewell missed the entire season, Graeme Sharp missed around a third of it plus Gary Lineker had just left so Howard really had to show his skill in managing thin resources and using recruitment whenever possible to bolster them.

Two masterstrokes from Howard using the transfer market to good effect were Paul Power and Wayne Clarke.

What an inspired signing Wayne Clarke was that season. Howard saw injuries had left us short up front and saw an opportunity to bolster our resources with Birmingham needing cash. He joined us late in the closing months of the 1986–87 season and quickly established himself as a key member of our title winning side scoring five goals in ten games including the absolutely crucial winner away at Arsenal not long after he joined.

(He then began the following season with the only goal in a 1–0 Charity Shield win over cup winners Coventry and later scored the only goal in the derby)

Pity the documentary seemed to treat the whole season as little more than an afterthought 'oh yeah forgot, must mention they won it in 87 too' ....right at the end with a clip of van den Hauwe's goal at Norwich sealing it.

Tbh wasn't over impressed with the glaring ommision as it had a lot of not all that important filler, Hatton and Question time ffs!....and why not leave out the rs scoring five against the hapless Glen Keeley? (as if noone knew the rs had dominated us for so long.)

The whole program could have been far more focussed on Howard and the actual football, and although perhaps a bit left field could even have included a little more on the outstanding managerial triumph the 86/87 season represented.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)