• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Player Demarai Gray

scott_efc

Doom-monger, bore and forum crank
At that price it’s a no brainer. But I’m unsure why we need both him and Townsend. Unless we are shifting Iwobi and Bernard. Also doesn’t bode well for Richarlison it feels a bit like we might be covering ourselves in case he leaves later on.

Kyoto

TEF Member
At that price it’s a no brainer. But I’m unsure why we need both him and Townsend. Unless we are shifting Iwobi and Bernard. Also doesn’t bode well for Richarlison it feels a bit like we might be covering ourselves in case he leaves later on.
Well we're missing Richarlison for a couple of the opening games and wanting rid of Bernard to some club in dubai so it makes sense, Both obviously help with FPP because its peanuts.

Thuck ma Baws

TEF Member
This is exactly the type of signing we should have been making for the last 5 years. Decent age, loads of experience and ridiculously cheap because of a clause in his contract. I think he's a decent player too but even if he's shite we'll make some money shifting him on.

As for Townsend and Begovic, I honestly thought they'd both retired years ago.

DannyEFC

Alan Myers
This is exactly the type of signing we should have been making for the last 5 years. Decent age, loads of experience and ridiculously cheap because of a clause in his contract. I think he's a decent player too but even if he's shite we'll make some money shifting him on.

As for Townsend and Begovic, I honestly thought they'd both retired years ago.
Dross Townsend was doing fucking punditry at the Euros over the summer.

Space_Ghost

Senior Manager of football trading
Quite like the Gray signing, cheap deal, previously highly rated/talented pacey winger. Even if it doesn't work out entirely well we'll still probably profit in a year or two.
Townsend is shite, don't get it, maybes he's great to have in dressing room and Benitez wants/knows him from Newcastle times, don't see what he adds.

BraintreeBlue

TEF Member

Space_Ghost

Senior Manager of football trading
Same person who said this also said on Sunday we have 40M to spend... 15M on Dumfries and 25M on a winger. After that free and loans.

Think this makes sense. If we get Dumfries through the door for £15m there should be a £25m winger knocking about somewhere!

T1878

Love Islander
Same person who said this also said on Sunday we have 40M to spend... 15M on Dumfries and 25M on a winger. After that free and loans.

Aside from Townsend, who I think is an utterly pointless signing, I could live with this. A new right-hand side was the obvious priority, so adding Dumfries and someone like Bailey (my first choice) would drastically improve the team.

That said, centre-midfield is clearly an area where we’re massively lacking in quality, if not depth. The hope is that the above budget is based on us not selling anyone. If we can shift some of the deadwood and get some of the bigger salaries off the books, hopefully we can bring in a quality central-midfielder.

I wanted a centre-half, but that was always a long shot. Although with the time left on Mina’s contract, a decision will need to be made on that one.

bluerinse

If another club picked him up for £1.5m I think people would be saying we should have taken a chance at that price.

Wouldn't think he'd want the Earth in wages either, so it's a sensible signing for me.

Even if he's not upto it and we look to sell him next summer, you'd think we'd get a mill for him.

Last edited:

MartSlinger

Love Islander
If another club picked him up for £1.5m I think people would be saying we should have taken a chance at that price.

Wouldn't think he'd want the Earth in wgaes either, so it's a sensible signing for me.

Even if he's not upto it and we look to sell him next summer, you'd think we'd get a mill for him.

Its the "no risk" transfer we've been crying for us to sign really isnt it?

Lets say if he went straight from Birmingham to Leverkusen there would be a buzz around signing him i reckon, i think its cause he's played for Leicester and we all know how it went for him there, that the fans arent buzzing or "made up" with signing him.

Last edited:

scott_efc

In terms of what we need. If we are going to play 451 or 4231 we have Allan and Doucoure who are nailed on for the two central spots. Then for now we have James and Iwobi who can play at the advanced position. Gbamin, Gomes and Davies as back up to Allan and Doucoure isn’t the worst but if we could add a proper player I think we would be in very good shape.

Problem we had with Carlo was he played so many players narrow / centrally that we looked short on numbers in midfield because he liked to play about 5 of them. If it’s just 2 which seems to be Rafa’s preferred choice then we aren’t too bad.

If we sign Gray and Townsend that also frees Richarlison up to play as a striker more often. So there’s less need to sign a striker.

Right back and right wing look correctly the positions we need most IMO.

scott_efc

Wouldn't think he'd want the Earth in wgaes either, so it's a sensible signing for me.

Even if it doesn’t work out we will easily get a few million for him. It’s only this clause which means we are getting him for 1.5mil. Given hes british, quick, kinda PL proven, experienced and not too old he’s easily an 8mil player bare minimum.

Neil A

Our man in Spain
In terms of what we need. If we are going to play 451 or 4231 we have Allan and Doucoure who are nailed on for the two central spots. Then for now we have James and Iwobi who can play at the advanced position. Gbamin, Gomes and Davies as back up to Allan and Doucoure isn’t the worst but if we could add a proper player I think we would be in very good shape.

Problem we had with Carlo was he played so many players narrow / centrally that we looked short on numbers in midfield because he liked to play about 5 of them. If it’s just 2 which seems to be Rafa’s preferred choice then we aren’t too bad.

If we sign Gray and Townsend that also frees Richarlison up to play as a striker more often. So there’s less need to sign a striker.

Right back and right wing look correctly the positions we need most IMO.
I would like to see Richarlison as a 10 in 4231... Especially in a side that seems to be shaping up to play quick direct football

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)