• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Cricket

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Just messing around having a look at the squad I'd pick for Tuesday.

I reckon Denly will go for Dawson (obvious imo) as not as good a bat as Vince and isn't a bowler at all really

Tough on Willey but I think he could be the one to make way too - watch him get a fivefer now to really make it difficult.

My 11 would be Roy, Bairstow, Root, Morgan, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, T.Curran, Rashid, Archer, Wood.

with Plunkett, Woakes, Dawson and Vince making up the 15

(toss up between Woakes and Tom Curran to start)

bluerinse

I agree.

Opening batsmen - Roy, Bairstow (backup wk), Vince

Middle order - Root, Morgan (c), Buttler (vc/wk)

Genuine all-rounders - Stokes (pace), Ali (spin)

Spinners - Rashid, Dawson

Pace bowlers - Woakes, Wood, Archer, Plunkett, T. Curran

----

Possibly harsh on Willey and it would be nice to have the left armer but I just think he's too hittable if it doesn't swing. Curran, Woakes, Wood, Archer and Plunkett all excel over him in different areas, imo.

As for Denly, I don't think he's been given a fair crack in this Pakistan series. It should be him or Vince for the Hales replacement slot but the fact they haven't given him one game opening says it all.

He just isn't a third spinner that I'd be comfortable having 10 overs in the event of an injury to Moeen/Rashid.

Last edited:

bluerinse

351-9 then.

I thought we would be looking at a monster 400+ from England after about 20 overs but to their credit Pakistan pulled that back nicely.

England will be disappointed that nobody went on to get a matchwinning score to really propel them out of sight. Thankfully Tom Curran came up with the goods in the last over to get them up to 351.

Still looks a decent score but with the way this series has gone, I can't say with that much certainty whether it will be enough. It should be a good test for England's bowlers tho.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
1-55 and Willey hasn't done enough to edge ahead of Tom Curran for me in what was his last chance.

He bowled without menace and although he contained reasonably well that can also be dependant on who you bowl against.

Woakes was picking up wickets while Willey looked ineffectual although he didn't leak that many runs. Tom Curran seems to be on the up with the bat too, a confident young cricketer whose time is coming.

Denly was unfortunate not to get more of a chance with the bat in this series but can't be seriously considered as any sort of bowling back up.

Nice words from Eoin to keep everyone on message and tuned in, but the decision looks far more straightforward now even if still tough on Willey, and to a far lesser extent on Denly.

There may just be a chance all the seamers are in the fifteen if there is no spin backup and no Dawson, but it would be asking for trouble and an error imo.

pablo

TEF Member
351-9 then.

I thought we would be looking at a monster 400+ from England after about 20 overs but to their credit Pakistan pulled that back nicely.

England will be disappointed that nobody went on to get a matchwinning score to really propel them out of sight. Thankfully Tom Curran came up with the goods in the last over to get them up to 351.

Still looks a decent score but with the way this series has gone, I can't say with that much certainty whether it will be enough. It should be a good test for England's bowlers tho.
It's shows the level of this England team that 351 felt a disappointing target despite it being the highest run chase target for victory.

bluerinse

Any concerns over how England played the slower ball and with the ICC setting up pitches?
I think we'll see a lot of flat belters in the group stages. Lately there aren't many decks in England that misbehave.

With dry weather there could be more worn surfaces by the end of the tournament, but with the knock out stages being just a semi at Edgbaston or Old Trafford followed by a final at Lord's I don't think we'll see pitches that are too tacky, even if the ICC are in charge.

Given England are playing every venue in the group stage they will probably have a couple of games on surfaces that aren't a total batting paradise. But it'll be upto them to adapt.

Given their form around the World, winning something like 12 of 13 ODI series, you'd think they can handle it. It's now just about pressure that weight of expectation brings.

Famous last words but I don't think they could be better prepared for a World Cup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 1)