• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Cricket

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
England up against it here and took about 30 minutes too long to bowl their overs which could result in fines and maybe points towards a suspension for Morgan.
On the money there, Morgan has to sit out the next ODI (4th one on Friday) having been found guilty of slow over rate- usual fines - 40% of match fee captain and 20% other team members.

Bairstow also given one demerit point for hitting the stumps with his bat after his dismissal.

Presumably the returning Jos Buttler will take over as captain and hope to get a better result than his last time (dead rubber -multiple changes, only one they lost in Sri Lanka ODI series)

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
On the money there, Morgan has to sit out the next ODI (4th one on Friday) having been found guilty of slow over rate- usual fines - 40% of match fee captain and 20% other team members.

Baitstow also given one demerit point for hitting the stumps with his bat after his dismissal.

Presumably the returning Jos Buttler will take over as captain and hope to get a better result than his last time (dead rubber -multiple changes, only one they lost in Sri Lanka ODI series)
I fancy Morgan would've sat out one of the two remaining games in this series anyway, or at least he has form for doing so in recent series.

As you say, Buttler will return and take his place in the side as stand-in skipper for Friday.

Bairstow was very angry when he got out, considering he played so well. I reckon there's a bit of banter going around about who's going to be the first Englishman to get an ODI double century and he probably thought he had a good chance there (somebody is surely going to do it sooner or later!).

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Trent Bridge for the 4th ODI today, where in 2 of their last 3 ODIs England have scored 481/6 (v Australia) and 444/3 (v Pakistan) in 50 overs.

Whether or not we can expect to see 400+ today, I'm not so sure, seeing as England's batting line up will be without Morgan (suspended for this game), Hales (suspended for the summer at least, but centurian and the motm in both of the above run riots) and apparently the rested Bairstow.

However, given the high-scoring nature of the ground and the way the 2 sides have batted in this series (both making 350+ in both completed games) it still feels likely to be something of a run-fest today - presuming we get fair weather.

If you believe the cricket press, England's team for today looks set to be; Roy, Vince, Root, Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Denly, Rashid, T Curran, Archer, Wood.

This England side often surprise me, but I don't see 400+ coming from that line up - even if Roy is playing great, Buttler is a superhero freak and Root, Stokes and Ali are all more than capable of hitting 100+.

I have to say I'm surprised to see Denly get yet another game. I'm just not really sure what he's offering to this team batting at 7 and having an over or two of occasionally handy spin. I mean, I'm sure he's happy to be getting a game anywhere for his country, but really if they want to play him, he should be opening the batting - particularly with them rotating the openers. But still, I don't see a way he's going to be making the 11 for the World Cup when it matters, so why bother wasting the time when we could have a genuine 3rd spinner who can bat a bit if required in Dawson.

Aside from that, it'll be all eyes on Mark Wood - Can he produce the kind of quick, fiery bowling performance he found in the Windies? If he can and his body manages both of these games unscathed, you'd think it's going to be bad news for somebody like Willey or Curran who I see being most at risk.

I bet Willey woke up this morning, opened the curtains, saw the clouds and thought 'for fuck sake'. He's played on tiny grounds with sunny weather, finally gets to somewhere where he might get some assistance from English cloudy weather and they're going with the 'hit the deck' pace bowlers. Maybe it's just not meant to be, David.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Stand-in skipper Jos Buttler puts Pakistan in to bat.

No surprise with the cloud that's around, even if I don't think England have picked their best attack to exploit it.

Excited to see Wood and Archer fling them down with some heat.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Pakistan have become the first team to score 340+ in 3 consecutive ODIs.

Could they lose all 3?

It felt a bit short to me but England still need to get them.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
All going swimmingly for England so far.

Vince made his usual eye-catching start before getting out without cashing in but Roy has been excellent. He's really playing with a strut at the moment, and for me, the way he carries himself is so much like KP in his prime.

Should be said tho, Pakistan have been pony in the field again. Feels like they're putting 2 or 3 down every innings. The top teams will always punish that.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Looks like a defeat then.

Just goes to show you're not home until you're home in a big chase.

Should have walked this from where they were but Root, Buttler and Ali took unnecessary risks and they didn't come off.

Still a good reality check and time in the middle for some players. Also the chance for somebody to be a hero and win an unlikely game, if they can.

Edit - Gutted to have to pop out and miss the end.

Last edited:

kev1

TEF Mortgage Broker - Love Islander
They are going to do this - Brilliant by Stokes and Curran

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
England recovered well after four or five quick wickets.

An absolutely huge innings from Ben Stokes and what a game Tom Curran had.

England showed once again that batting deep is a major strength, tbh the run rate never got out of hand even with Roy, Root, Buttler, Ali and Denly all going within 50 or 60 runs.

With Ben Stokes the game is never over and his partnership with Tom Curran took it deep and from there, there was only ever likely to be one team that could win.

Jason Roy should be in the white and red ball sides for me, he's quality and can bat the situation too.

Pakistan really need to practice fielding.

Last edited:

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Surprised to see they did that. It looked very difficult when I went out, even though I feel Pakistan had been in a strong position despite some ordinary bowling and captaincy, from what I saw.

The fielding was also bad but then they suddenly clicked and pulled off 3 good catches, especially that caught and bowled which was excellent.

Still, Curran and Stokes can take a lot of confidence forward. Stokes because he had been in a bit of a quiet trot without any heroics and Curran because he's made valuable runs on top of 4 wickets he took earlier - so you'd think that might ink him in for a WC spot.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Last ODi of the series today at Headingley (11 o'clock start) and the last proper game before the WC (I believe they have a couple of other warm ups that won't receive ODI status).

I was hoping we'd get a look at the team they have in mind for starting the World Cup but it seems the rotation is due to continue.

Jason Roy looks set to have a rest, with Jonny Bairstow coming in while I'd also expect the skipper to return somewhere (perhaps for Root, as he hasn't missed a game or perhaps for Denly).

On the bowling front, I wonder if they'll give Willey one last chance to show what he can do or whether they're set on the options they're going to go with.

One man who won't be making it is Jordan, who's been released back to Sussex. A bit of a surprise he didn't get a game somewhere along the line to stake a claim but maybe he was off it in practice.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
England batting first.

Changes again, today's team...

Bairstow, Vince, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Stokes, Ali, Woakes, Curran, Willey, Rashid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)