• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Cricket

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
I thought it could go either way with 6/7 overs to go but Morgan was excellent and Joe Root did what he does, keeping the scoreboard ticking with ease.

Agree on Archer. That lad has the X-Factor and makes it all look so easy, clocking 90+ mph without even looking like he's trying his hardest.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Dear me. Chennai have produced a horrible track for 20/20 cricket here.

Dhoni was unhappy with the pitch here after the first game. Can't see him being happy with this regardless of the result.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Jason Roy and Moeen to return for the second ODI against Pakistan at the Rose Bowl tomorrow (for Vince and Denly), meaning that, with the exception of the injured Wood, it'll likely be the World Cup first XI.

Since Archer is now a certainty, it could be the fitness of Mark Wood that determines if another of the current bowlers miss out on the World Cup.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
What a final that was.

When the 4 byes went in the penultimate over I thought it was over. Malinga pulled it out big style tho

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Jos Buttler would be the first name in. Not today's seriously weakened side, but i would pick the current full strength team en masse with Botham and KP the only players from the past with a chance imo.

England's former ODI tactics in days gone by, with only one or two isolated exceptions, were for a large part prehistoric.

I think people may be mixing up test and ODI memories going by that

Last edited:

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
England up against it here and took about 30 minutes too long to bowl their overs which could result in fines and maybe points towards a suspension for Morgan.

On a flat deck like that, you need something different. Whether that's the pace of Archer or Wood or the leg spin of Rashid, or ideally both. Though Willey does give the left arm different option, he bowls a lovely place to go after when it's a sunny day and a flat track.

I wouldn't entirely write England off today with guys like Roy, Bairstow, Root and Morgan but Buttler being left out and a rejigged line up makes it look more difficult.

I feel it's a chance for a big knock for Ben Stokes here. He hasn't looked himself for a little while, both with bat and ball. Need to get a key player like him going.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Yeah this is a seriously understrength team in all departments, possibly not much of a guide to anyone. Bristol also makes a postage stamp seem like the MCG, its tiny more like a pinhead, and any crosswind can make a mockery of records.

With the lineup rejig and their most destructive batsman missing they'll struggle with the bat as much as with the ball, no pace, no legsping, no variation, no chance.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Bairstow in playing so much one day cricket has really started using his bottom hand a lot. Watch how often he tries to work it through the leg side.

It could be a tough adjustment for him for the Ashes, a bit like last summer when we saw the Indian seamers bowl him a lot.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
With the lineup rejig and their most destructive batsman missing they'll struggle with the bat as much as with the ball, no pace, no legsping, no variation, no chance.
As predicted a stroll in the park for the understrength invincibles :D :D :D

Seriously though playing on a minuscule ground just massively inflates scores, you get double and even treble value for any shot at all, even a mishit, everything goes for six.

That 359 was possibly worth about 250 on a normal postage stamp sized ground and was found wanting once the Jonny and Jason show started rolling.

More than five overs to spare and in second gear after the openers went, an absolute massacre. Pakistan fielded like a team full of geriatrics too, worse than a minor club's third xi.

MLWEFC

Ex-Love Islander who has seen the light
I've done an England double in the Summer. This mob and the women in the football world cup.

Thinking of just doing them in a single too though, they look very good from the little I've seen.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
That reminded me of the chase they pulled off in the Windies a few months ago.

Just like that time, the openers broke the back of the chase with some excellent shots up front and before we knew it, the total required was down to around 200 off 30 overs with 9/10 wickets in hand, which suddenly feels a lot more manageable.

Then, when the wickets eventually began to fall everybody who needed it got some time in the middle. Some looked better than others but hopefully they'll be better when it matters for looking scratchy at times tonight.

You wouldn't have thought that chase was comfortably in the top 10 ever successful ODI run chases (and England's 2nd highest ever), yet they made it look very easy. Of course, it should be said that Pakistan didn't help themselves with their fielding effort, dropping chances and putting unnecessary pressure on a fairly inexperienced attack but still, it was impressive from England.

The bowling is a bit of a worry for England, but we do still have Archer, Rashid and Wood (providing he's fully fit) to call upon - so I think all 3 will get at least 1 more game in this series, possibly 2. The men who look most at risk to me are David Willey and Tom Curran (I thought it would be Plunkett struggling but that guy gets so many wickets in the middle overs, he might've played his way back in).

I also read they're looking at calling up Dawson for these next 2 games, as Morgan doesn't think Denly is good enough to be the 3rd spinner. Harsh, but not entirely unexpected, with Dawson being a much more experienced bowler and part of an excellent Hampshire 50 over side.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Wood is fit for the next match according to Morgan, with Archer and Rashid back that bowling attack will be completely transformed from the county standard one playing today.

Dawson for Denly a no brainer, one over for nine from Denly, Morgan knows his weak link.

TylerDurden

Super Mod - I am always right
Jos Buttler would be the first name in. Not today's seriously weakened side, but i would pick the current full strength team en masse with Botham and KP the only players from the past with a chance imo.

England's former ODI tactics in days gone by, with only one or two isolated exceptions, were for a large part prehistoric.

I think people may be mixing up test and ODI memories going by that
Yeah I didn't realise it was just ODI. Wondered why so many big names were missing haha. Some test side that, though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)