• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Sport Cricket

maccarob

TEF Member
Bowling display has been functional but not exactly entertaining. If England beat Sri Lanka they are virtually assured of the semi finals.

Looking at the table though it would be very surprising if its not Aus, Eng, NZ and India who take the 4 spots. NZ are presumably the team you want out of those in the semi's despite the fact they can be unbelievable on their day.

maccarob

TEF Member
30 sixes. Fucking THIRTY.

What a match my mate has picked there.
We've been trying to buy tickets for the last two weeks for today and the ICC website was showing Mid availability but then wouldn't let you put more than 1 ticket in your basket basically saying it was as good as a sell out. You look on the TV and its not even close to being full.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Bowling display has been functional but not exactly entertaining. If England beat Sri Lanka they are virtually assured of the semi finals.

Looking at the table though it would be very surprising if its not Aus, Eng, NZ and India who take the 4 spots. NZ are presumably the team you want out of those in the semi's despite the fact they can be unbelievable on their day.
Agree with bluerinse on Bangladesh, they're incredibly unfortunate not to be in the top four instead of NZ. Should have beaten them but for messing up a simple run out of Williamson.

NZ have beaten two absolute no hopers and were very fortunate to squeak past Bangladesh. By far their most valuable result was the washed out match against India. They won't be found out by India that's for sure.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
A good statement performance from England, especially with the bat.

Often you find the second innings of these games after a mammoth total are just a three and a half hour going through the motions exercise and today was no different really. Afghanistan settled for batting the overs for something like a respectable total and England didn't have the intensity they might have in a more pressurised situation.

150 runs is still a handsome winning margin to boost the net run rate, on top of the all-important 2 points.

Job done.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
You have to put everything into context and its an unbelievable story Afghanistan even being here but they are just getting smashed every match, even if not quite as brutally as today.

This was just staggeringly easy for England, it was quite a mismatch.

This is their fifth world cup match but Rashid Khan their star man and a top quality spinner who is recognised worldwide, (in the cricketing world that is), has now played five world cup matches and several warm up matches just prior to this world cup including one against England.

He's not a green young bowler but an absolute star in franchise T20 cricket around the world, he should be doing far far better, he's been extremely poor and that's an understatement.

He's making the same mistakes time and again and not learning. Today were the worst figures from any bowler in World Cup history but he has been poor in his previous four world cup matches too.

Although he is a real star in T20 where the bowler is limited to 4 overs maximum and the batsman is trying to hit him from the off, perhaps he's not quite so suited to the longer 10 overs maximum stint where the batsman isn't trying to hit him out of the ground every ball.

After these five matches I think you can take the 'perhaps' out of that 'not suited' sentence.

That reply was a different game, I know they were so completely out of their depth but there was never an attempt to get even within one hundred runs of England, and surely with England half interested, that wasn't impossible.

All you can say is they kept wickets in hand and perhaps achieved the limits of their ambition, to bat out their 50 overs allocation.

On the plus side three wickets for Rashid, even if not always from great balls, is just what was required and should really boost his confidence. (Rashid Khan has taken three in five games)

Last edited:

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Two interesting games the next couple of days, weather permitting.

Wed - New Zealand v South Africa, Edgbaston.

Thur - Australia v Bangladesh, Trent Bridge.

I would expect NZ and Australia to win, but I'd rank them both as bananaskin territory. If either aren't at their level, the other side can win and shake things up.

I believe it's looking sketchy tomorrow in Birmingham, but should clear away, so we may get a reduced game while Nottingham looks fine on Thursday.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
Two interesting games the next couple of days, weather permitting.

Wed - New Zealand v South Africa, Edgbaston.

Thur - Australia v Bangladesh, Trent Bridge.

I would expect NZ and Australia to win, but I'd rank them both as bananaskin territory. If either aren't at their level, the other side can win and shake things up.

I believe it's looking sketchy tomorrow in Birmingham, but should clear away, so we may get a reduced game while Nottingham looks fine on Thursday.
Hope NZ get rained off as South Africa are really poor, maybe their very comfortable win (against Afghanistan?) will have given them a bit of a lift, but then again it was Afghanistan so possibly not.

Latest forecast for Birmingham is a chance of an early shower but a greater chance we miss them altogether and a full game possible unfortunately

- if they do play please let this bedraggled South African team somehow win, possibly more chance for them the shorter the match as well.

Last edited:

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
There was a change in the wind last night which saw the storm and accompanying rain pass further South than expected.

As such, the game in Birmingham today might get off on time. There's a possibility of showers early to mid afternoon but nothing too drastic, so I'm hopeful of a full game or quite close to it.

Never taken such an interest in the weather but this and Glasto next weekend have seen me pay more attention than ever!

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
Shikhar Dhawan ruled out of the competition.

A big blow considering how well he does in ICC tournaments, but they're lucky to have a ready made replacement in the squad and already playing in KL Rahul.

The injury also allows Rishabh Pant to come in, who I rate as a very exciting player. However, their problem spot of number 4 is now unsolved again, so we'll have to see who they slot in there. Whoever comes in will probably look a spot or so too high.

liquidfootball2

TEF Member
74 for 2 after 20 overs.

I know the bowling has been decent, but this is old-school by South Africa.
Yes they're in a bit of a trough, a whole run of defeats against all comers has left them on the floor and desperate.
(Afghanistan doesn't count for me)

They had some spirit and hope before the competition began but both have long gone before today.

They've just lost any confidence in their own ability and are regretting there is no longer an AB, Kallis or Steyn to rescue them this time.

Amla has a touch of the Stuart Broads since being clocked on the head by Jofra in the first game, everyone now just pitches it half way down as he's looked traumatised ever since.

Last edited:

maccarob

TEF Member
If NZ bat well, their run rate which is already very good may as well be an extra point. Very difficult to see how they miss out on the semi finals from here.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
I don't think this pitch has played especially well and the outfield has been slow, so SA need to get themselves around 260.

It won't be a brilliant score but they'll have something to try and defend.

bluerinse

Love Island Mod
242 for the win then. Would expect NZ to knock those off.

We'll see if it's a difficult track to bat on or South Africa are just severely lacking in confidence. I reckon a bit of both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 1)