• Welcome to The Everton Forum!

You appear to be browsing The Everton Forum as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional priviledges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that The Everton Forum has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now!

Brendan Rodgers - Genius or Myth?

Chef

TEF Member
Taking your hate of the redshite (and possibly the man) out of it. How good a manager is Brendan Rodgers?

Last season the shite did amazingly well, but the season before and so far this season they are bang average.

Some of his signings are inspired and others are just abject failures.

Some kopites seem to be turning. But is the man decent at his job or just a fraud?

Watson

TEF Member
He's just a massive horse headed cunt; an over rated tranny fingering weird twat.

Dixie

Elite Member
Somewhere in the middle of the two. You put Suarez into any team in the top 8 last season and they would probably have got close to what Liverpool did last season. It hurts my brain imaging what we would have done if he played for us last year, those draws at the start turn into wins and you suddenly jump a few places.

He did a great job at Swansea though.

IRISHBLUE101

Global Moderator
Take Suarez and Sturrudge out of any team and you'd struggle.
Though replacing a World Class player with a couple of average/good players has been disastrous. They've done the exact same as Spurs last season and overspent vastly on some of them too.
Gerrard is on the wane too, unsurprising with the amount of diving he's done in the past 15 years. He's irreplaceable as well but shouldn't be playing as much as he is anymore.
The defence is shit, their system is fucked and they cant score for shit. They've become a shit version of Spurs. 'Death by Football ' he was preaching wasn't it. Death by boredom now more like.
The signing of Balotelli could be seen as arrogant by Rodgers. He thought he tamed Suarez from the racist biting episodes of old and thought he could do the same to Balotelli. The difference between the 2 is that with Suarez you had moments of insanity sandwiched between moments of genius. With Balotelli you get insanity mixed with indifference and the odd goal.
He's also spent around £200m at this point so this is very much his team with near unlimited money and they've become worse. They've only played well only once this season, against Spurs. If he really is as tactically astute as he makes out he'll coach that team to another top 4 place but that's looking unlikely at the minute.

pablo_p

TEF Member
Was very good early in his career when he saved Watford from relegation.

Was shit at Reading and was sacked after a short period, wasn't he?

Was once more brilliant at Swansea. But who did he inherit that team off? Putting the blue bias aside for this, as requested; that Swansea side had Martinez stamped all over it before he took the reins. He done fantastically well to get them promoted and establish them, though. You simply can't take any of that away from the man. But the foundations were well in place thanks to Martinez. Very similar to Martinez succeeding Moyes, actually.

Done exceptionally well last year. But who did he have in his side?

If you'd have put Suarez in that 'terrible, horrible' United side, they'd have easily made top 4. Easily. Such was the impact he had. He was directly/indirectly responsible for over half of Liverpool's goal tally last season. You're bound to suffer if you remove him/that from the equation.

This year is his real test.

He doesn't have Suarez. Gerrard looks less and less interested with each game. Their over-reliance on Sterling is having a detrimental effect. And Ballotelli doesn't look like he's going to come good for them.

He's got it in him to be very good, IMO. But all of the above is a huge test. Overcome that and he silences everyone. They're losing patience though. So it's whether or not he's afforded the time, IMO.

Comicbook Guy

Banned
Banned
Taking your hate of the redshite (and possibly the man) out of it. How good a manager is Brendan Rodgers?

Last season the shite did amazingly well, but the season before and so far this season they are bang average.

Some kopites seem to be turning. But is the man decent at his job or just a fraud?
Some of his signings are inspired? Which ones would they be?

Some of his signings are inspired? Which ones would they be?
Daniel Sturridge and Coutinho have done well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyWhack

TEF Member
You have to say in general his signings have been mediocre at best. Sturridge aside for me. Coutinhos good but he doesn't know what to do with him.

You have to say in general his signings have been mediocre at best. Sturridge aside for me. Coutinhos good but he doesn't know what to do with him.
He bought a lot of very young foreign players that haven't really settled. They may come good, but I doubt it on the whole! He has turned Sakho, Lovren and Mignolet into donkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimmyWhack

TEF Member
Can't see markovic settling. Or either full back. Llori will be sold, them other Spanish lads will be shipped out too no doubt.

Sakho looks awful, mignolet regressing, lovren looks more like a hatchet man every week. Lallana way too much, balotelli desperate.

bignevruled

Pan Jammer
He's not half as good as he thinks he is and therein lies the problem with him. It will inevitably be his undoing.

I will take enormous pleasure in seeing his downfall. I hope he ends up crying on live TV at some point, and then having a nervous breakdown while still on air and stripping off to his boxers with the whole squad laughing at him loudly off camera.

Ultimately for me Watson nailed it. He's a massive horse headed cunt.

kev1

Mortgage Nonce/Football Dunce
At first he was a joke with the TV doc and the 'envelope' but you have to give him credit for last season. Yes they had the rat - but they had the rat the previous season and finished 7th. He handled the rat very well when he asked for a transfer and wouldn't let him go and you can't argue that the football they played in the 2nd half of last season was superb. But Brenda is all about Brenda and his Ego - he didn't need to splash out on average shit - he could have spent big money on a world class player - someone like Falcao. Instead he brings in Balotelli despite the fact that some of the best managers have failed to control him. He also persists with Gerard who now offers nothing.
A decent manager but no where near as good as he thinks he is and I think the Balotelli signing is the disaster we all hoped it was with more to come....

blueman

TEF Member
Not sure it's a case of him persisting with Gerrard. I, not sure he has that much choice. He has to keep his captain onside.

boris

TEF Member

Not having a go Aki, but who are the inspired signings?

I know Sturridge will be brought in here, I don't actually think he's all that tbh but you've to give him that one at the moment but I'm struggling now. Maybe Coutinho as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)