Naismith admits he nearly left the club in the transfer window
Everton Striker Steven Naismith scored a hat-trick on Saturday and then admitted that he was close to leaving the club for Norwich City in the summer transfer window.
The Scottish international was the subject of a late bid from Norwich City and admits it was out of his hands because manager Roberto Martinez turned for the approach on the last day.
Naismith said: “There was interest there and when you are not playing every week it is hard to look past these opportunities.
“But it was out of my hands because the manager just said he didn’t want me to leave. That was nice in a way but, when you’re not playing, it is also hard to take.
“When it came about it was something I thought I had to consider. At my age and having had a few years out with injury you do wonder how long it is going to be before you are playing regularly again.
“I am still coming on in games with a good bit of time to play though and so that gave me hope that I could still be here at Everton and when the manager said it wasn’t going to happen the decision was taken out of my hands.
“The manager reiterated after the game that it is a squad game and everyone has a role to play. This just shows how things can change so quickly in football. Hopefully I’ve shown my worth to the team.”
: “It was a strange day. I was probably frustrated at the start and that has been the story of the season so far for me, just coming on as a sub and trying to have an impact on games late on, which isn’t great.
“You could say there was a bit of frustration there. I think most times when you’re not starting games you are frustrated but we had worked hard on our tactics and how we were going to play all week and the game-plan turned out well.
“There was also a lot of great personal joy for me but it was relief for the team because you know you are almost over the line.”
Should Naismith be starting matches for Everton?
Everton Fan? Register for FREE on our Everton messageboard – www.theevertonforum.co.uk/forum